Chapter 2: Tuesday and Wednesday

Morgan Kilgrave was the youngest child of three. He had an older sister named Meryl and an older brother named Jamison. The siblings were raised alone by their father after their mother died when Morgan was four years old. Morgan attended Hogwarts, as most UK wizards had, and was sorted into Ravenclaw. After school, he worked as a potioneer. This is the information that the Ministry had on record.

"It's always nice to see bad guys come out of houses other than Slytherin," Lysander commented as they went over the files and notes they had that morning. "Really breaking boundaries, this guy was."

"One of the worst Death Eaters was a Gryffindor," Teddy said, remembering Pettigrew and how he had betrayed his friends and trying not to sound too angry about it. Clearly, it hadn't worked, judging by the wide-eyed look Lysander gave him. "So," he said, changing the subject. "We should try and track down his family. His brother has no address on file, but his sister does."

"What if his family is in on it?"

"Then we'll arrest them, too. The more dark wizards in Azkaban the merrier."

They made their way out of the Auror offices and into the atrium. They headed through the bustling crowd of wizards to get to the fireplaces but were held up by the sudden appearance of a man in obnoxiously purple robes in front of them. He was holding a roll of parchment and was waving a quill around.

"Auror Lupin! I'm Oran Alderton of the Daily Prophet-"

"I know who you are," Teddy said, trying to push past him.

"I'd like to ask you a few questions about the murder of Morgan Kilgrave on Sunday night," the reporter said, trying to walk with them now. He was smiling far too much.

"Alleged murder," Teddy corrected. He couldn't stand dealing with journalists. "If you'd like to ask questions, Welker in the Auror offices is who you want to talk to. He's in charge of talking to reporters."

Alderton laughed as if they were joking around. "Welker never tells me anything, and I'd like to get information from the source. Is it true that Kilgrave had Death Eater associations?"

"Well, we don't know that yet," Lysander said. "He was involved in some sort of dark magic-"

Teddy grabbed Lysander's shoulder firmly and glared at him. Lysander stopped talking. "We can't tell you anything, Alderton."

"So he was a dark wizard?" Alderton asked excitedly, ignoring Teddy now. "What's your name, Auror..."

"Scamander," Lysander answered meekly.

"Scamander! As in Newt Scamander?"

Lysander shifted uncomfortably. "Er, yes. He was my great grandfather."

"That's incredible, you must be so proud," Alderton said. The reporter was waving his hands around a lot, clearly trying to stop them from walking around him. "Are your parents Rolf and Luna Scamander, then?"

Teddy recognized how Lysander was feeling because it was something Teddy himself was all too familiar with. The wizarding community was small, and everyone seemed to know everyone else. And if they didn't know you, they knew your family. Teddy had grown up with people telling him they knew who his parents were.

"We really must be going now," Teddy said, staring down Alderton in a way that he hoped came off as assertive.

"Ah, off to investigate the Kilgrave murder?"

"Alleged murder," Lysander said. Alderton smiled, but this time it didn't quite meet his eyes.

Without another word, Teddy pushed past Alderton and ignored his continued attempts at conversation as he approached the fireplaces. He heard Lysander comment on how much he hated traveling this way as he stepped in. He always complained about it, and Teddy never really responded, but he had to agree. Leaving the Ministry via a toilet always felt just a little degrading.