CHAPTER 5

The patient spends the rest of the afternoon observing the painting.

What is it about this beach?

The longer he strains his eyes, the less apparent the illusion is.

Everything is so visceral. So familiar.

Why, why, why?

His concentration is interrupted with a knock on his door.

It's Dr. Oh.

"Come to my office," he says. "Let's talk about your progress so far."

Like three days before, the patient sits in front of Dr. Oh. Mr. Jang is cooking dinner and Hee-jin is at her mathematics hagwon, so they won't be disturbed.

"How was your day at the docks?" he asks. "I'm sorry I couldn't ask earlier."

"Relaxing," the patient answers. He smiles. "Thank you for your recommendation. The maeuntang was delicious."

Dr. Oh nods, jotting some notes down. He leans back.

"It recently opened. The owner has been working very hard this past month."

"She said she lived in Cheongju," the patient says.

"Yes! That's right," says Dr. Oh. "She moved here after her husband died because she couldn't afford the rent. It's been very hard on her, but she perseveres."

They sit in silence before the patient switches the subject.

"I recognized one of Mr. Jang's paintings."

Dr. Oh sits straighter. His focus shifts.

"Explain."

"It was a beach from two years ago. For some reason, it feels so familiar to me. Do you think I went there before?"

"Possibly," says Dr. Oh, jotting down some more notes. "Why don't we go to Cheongju this weekend? It might help your recollection if you see the beach in person."

The patient smiles.

"Kamsahamnida."

The next morning, the patient must wait with Hee-jin at her bus stop. While Mr. Jang had a pre-scheduled doctor's appointment, Dr. Oh got an emergency call to help with a liver transplant.

Heejin is helpful in showing him the way to the bus stop, which is a couple of blocks from the house. Her bag hangs securely from her shoulders as she skips ahead, buzzing with energy. At six-foot-two, it doesn't take much effort for the patient to keep up. Both Dr. Oh and Mr. Jang are significantly shorter than him, and Heejin, by comparison, is minuscule. Ironic, how such a tall man is intimidated by them. They know more. They remember more.

How will the patient remember? Will the trip to Cheongju be worth it?

"There's this boy my friend likes," says Heejin. "She's obsessed with him. But she has no confidence. At all. I'm tempted to spy on him." She looks up at the patient. "Imagine! All that information on him scrounged up, just so she has that extra assurance. But there's no point. Absolutely none."

The patient laughs. What a ridiculous notion. He can't imagine anybody going as far as to spy on someone their friend likes. Isn't that too far?

"You know what? Maybe I will," decides Heejin. "And I'll tell him how she feels. That'll teach her. Just wait."

"Maybe she's not ready yet," counters the patient softly. "If you did that, wouldn't that break your friend's trust?"

Heejin sighs. "Yeah. You're right."

At that moment, the bus rolls in. The patient steps back.

"Bye, Heejin," he says. "Enjoy your day at school."

Heejin turns back, and she smiles.

"Bye, ahjussi!"

She waves to him as the doors close.