Chapter 45- you're eager

I walk into Ross' room with Matty. I get the sense that Ross is looking for me to check I've come to see him, and he smiles when he sees me.

"Hey" I say when I get to him.
I don't touch him, like I usually would. I feel like I'm going to have to start being more clear on my boundaries with everyone.

"We brought you some notes. Sorry" I laugh.

"Thanks guys that's helpful." He says smiling.

I stay standing by the bedside, I'm going to make sure I remember how well he looks so that next time I dramatically want to have a moment, I can remind myself that he's all good.
Ross' blonde hair is out in its normal loose waves. His blue eyes look more awake than woozy. He's changed into a black T-shirt.

I smile back at him.
"You look so much better, and in less pain" I say.

"Thanks, yeah I should be out by the end of the week. I just have to go back for check ups and physio. No riding the bike though. Which sucks" he says.
"I might just be able to get away with driving my car, I'll ask them" he smiles at me.

We talk for a while longer about normal things like hospital food, and uni. I ask him if he wants us to get anything or bring anything for our next visit. He says he wouldn't mind some more clothes, and hands me his keys. I'm more than happy to nose around his room. He smiles at me and asks me to bring him a book too. I never pictured him as a reader, but I see it now. And then I remember he's studying English lit and kick myself. Once the silence grows it seems Ross is getting tired, because of the meds so we tell him we'll see him soon.

I hug him before we go. To be fair I do hug all of my friends.
"I'm so glad you're getting better" I whisper in his ear before leaving. He smiles at me and tells me he's missed me. I stroke his hair. Then I follow the guys out.

We walk down the corridor it's already half 5 and I want out of this place.
"You wanna ask at the desk..." Matty begins.

"Lord no I want you right now" I tell him smiling.

He smirks.
"Sure you don't want to check" he begins.

"Take me home" I ask him sweetly.

"You heard the women" Jay laughs smiling at me.

Why is he always on my side?

"Okay but no uni for you tomorrow not until you feel better" Matty says. Decidedly ignoring Jay.

We approach the others who are sitting and eating takeout.
"Ah you could have got me something" Jay says nicking a chip from Rach. He rests on the back of her chair. Leaning into her he kisses her cheek. She smiles up at him clearly in awe.

"Later everyone" Matty says pulling his arm around me.
We all say goodbye. I stick to Matty and he keeps his arm firmly around me.
Once in the car he breathes out a sigh of relief. His hands are slightly shaken I notice.
"Don't drive just yet" I say, eyeing him warily.
"If you feel stressed" I add and I smile.

"I'm fine" he starts up so the heater comes on.

I stay quiet.
"I just want to be at home with you now." he says pulling off.

The snow is flurrying in front of the lights but Matty knows what he's doing. He is quiet on the route home. Concentrating.
I stare out of the window. Just breathing.