°Poison vs Venom

Based on the above image.

As the friends sat around the fire Aragorn patently, as had become a casual tradition, answers the questions of the ever curious hobbits. The topic of discussion on this moonlit night had turned to the various survival tactics and spotting of danger that is necessary when ones occupation is that of a Ranger.

Pippin releases a hiccup after consuming another draught of ale and leans forward with the tone of one with a secrative question. "You must be told Strider" for many of the company still referred to him as such out of habit. "That I am still unsure of the differences between a snake which is poisonous, and one which is veni-vene"

Seeing his friend so struggling Merry supplies with a grin, "venomous, do you mean Pippin?"

At the hobbit's nod Aragorn nods his head. "The way to remeber is fairly simple." Repressing a smile at the eager looks displayed by the present company he continues in a lowered voice. "If it bites you and you die, its venomous. If you bite it and you die its poisonous."

Pippin nods sagely before frowning. "And if it were to bite me and die what would that be?"

Merry sends a indecrulious glance in the direction of both Pippin himself and his drink. "Has your drink brought your hearing to the same level as your intelligence? Strider, or rather Aragorn, has just said! That would make you poisonous!"

With slanted smile Boromir adds his own question to the growing debate, "And what would you consider it if the animal bit itself and I died?"

A low chuckle escapes Gandalfs mouth as he removes his pipe amd answers obligingly. "The cause of that would have to be magic."

"And if the snake were to bite me and another dies?"

Faramir startles as the gentle voice of Legolas reaches into the conversation from a ways away. Having had the least exposure to the Elven prince, Faramir still finds himself suprised at the hearing of the prince of Greenwood. "I would assume that would be more correlation and less causation"

"And what do you supose it is when we bite each other and neither is harmed eh?"

The slured tones promt Pippin to again speak up with a conspiring grin. "That would be an exchange betwixt risky lovers!"

A beat of silence seizes the moment before Eowyn dissolves into laughter, the rest joining her but a moment later.

Live long and prosper my little vulcan potatoes! 🖖