Chapter 5

(Oh my god Lian Zeishen, what am I going to do with you XD) 

The smell of something delicious pulled Shui out of his strange dream. As he slowly sat up, covering a yawn with his sleeved arm, he wasn't too sure what to make of it. He also wasn't sure that he ever wanted to make anything of it, either. 

Blinking away the remaining blurriness from his eyes, he looked around his silent room. 

He's not here? 

Turning, he moved to sit on the edge of the bed, but as he did so something that had been settled next to his pillow caught his attention. Reaching for it, he picked up the surprisingly-hefty spirit dagger he'd seen Lian Zeishen attack him with the other day. It was an odd thing to leave behind, considering that it looked quite expensive and was exquisitely made.

Wait a minute. He left this unsheathed dagger... right next to my head while I was sleeping!

He was just about to push himself up and stalk off to the find the bothersome man when the dagger sitting in his palm suddenly began to shake. His eyes narrowed on the strange weapon for a moment before it suddenly began hovering just above his palm and swinging widely like a crazed compass needle! He quickly flattened his palm more, not wanting to risk losing a finger as the possessed weapon swung itself one way, then abruptly changed directions to rotate several circles in the opposite direction. 

What on Earth is this cursed weapon doing? 

He watched it spin for a few more moments before it began to swing back and forth in a shrinking arc. 

North-east? 

It stopped altogether once it had decided exactly where it wished to point, slightly more north, but still a little east, then abruptly dropped back down into his palm as if was suddenly embarrassed that it had gotten caught showing off its disturbing ability to someone who wasn't its master. 

Grasping the dagger firmly in his hand, Shui pushed himself to his feet, then walked over to a small table and set the dagger down gently. He then hurried to dress himself, choosing to wear the newer royal robe he'd requested, since it weighed nearly half that of his other fancy ones and he honestly preferred the look and mobility. He tugged on his underclothes, then pulled the light blue, ocean blue, and black robe around himself. It had little frost-like embroidery near the left shoulder and right lower portion, but that was all that he'd allowed as far as decoration. He was a utility over beauty type of person and always had been. Once the matching belt was tied around his waist he glanced in a small mirror hanging above the table, quite content with his new appearance... besides his terribly-short hair. 

Shrugging off that one small detail, he dug through some desk drawers until he managed to find a few daggers of his own. He tended to collect them if he found any well-made ones on the battlefield, but as he sorted through the few he'd kept, he wasn't looking at the specific blades, per say.

This one should do for now. 

Removing a beautifully-crafted dagger with a dragon sculpted into its handle from its sheath, Shui carefully returned the blade to the drawer and closed it, then slid Lian Zeishen's similar-sized weapon into its sheath. 

Almost a perfect fit. 

He tied the length of woven string that had already been wrapped tightly around the sheath through his belt, then added his own sword before heading for his main living chambers. 

He's probably already eaten most of the food again. 

Their previous meal, the one that Lian Zeishen had claimed to have eaten, must have already been cleared away, because a new set of dishes was now on the table, still steaming with warmth. The delicious smell of garlic and hot spices was enticing, but Shui only walked over long enough to grab a steamed bun before promptly heading out the door. He noted before he turned to leave, however, that there was a small platter that was completely missing whatever it had been brought in carrying. Only crumbs remained.