CHAPTER 39

~June 8th- 9th, 2019~

Harry- 25
Anna- 25 (37-ish weeks pregnant)
August- 2.5
Robin- 18 months old

~June 8th, 2019~

Anna POV:

I'm excited for the break we get over the next two days. Scratch that, MY BODY is excited for the break we get over the next two days. Jeff's Malibu house is one of my favorite places on earth. It reminds me a lot of the beach house in South Carolina. It's secluded. It's quiet. It's everything adult with nothing childproofed that I have to try and remember how to unlock.

He and Glenn have it so perfectly set up that we barely have to bring anything with us, aside from the clothes we want to wear for the few days we're there. To be honest, I plan on wearing very little clothing and doing nothing but lounging around with my husband. Sleeping when we want. Fucking when and where we want. Eating when and what we want. Watching what we want. Two whole days of never having to clean up after anyone except ourselves. It all sounds too good to be true.

We took one of the convertibles on the PCH to get to Malibu. The last time that Harry made an album he let me hear very little of it prior to playing me the whole thing through. He said it was because he planned the whole thing as 'an experience'. Even though I had heard pieces of things, I never got to hear the finished product until it was on the album in its entirety. So, I was surprised when he played Sunflower, Vol.6 for me on my birthday.

As we are driving, he presses play on his phone and I realized I am being treated to an early listen of another song off the album. "I think this one is finished." The song starts to play over the speakers and it sounds so different then anything else he has played me, so far. The line "strawberry lipstick state of mind" makes me turn my head to him, because he always used to tell me the shade I wore made my lips look like juicy strawberries, even when it was inappropriate- like when I was dating Jason or trying to hate him.

"You don't have to say you love me. I just want to tell you something. Lately you've been on my mind..." As he continues to sing to me over the speakers in his vintage convertible, I'm overcome with a heavy set of emotions. I know when this song was written. I mean, I know when the lyrics for this song were written. I also know that it probably started out as a ballad instead of this more upbeat version I am hearing now. People are going to love it, and it makes me wonder if anyone will know exactly how much pain these words were written from. I know because I lived through him causing me equally as much, if not more.

His eyes continue to shift back and forth from the road to me. He likes to pretend that he's not, but I know he's actually quite concerned about what people close to him think of his music. He has told me before that it's equal parts terrifying and exhilarating to let someone listen to a song in front of him, but it's all heightened when it'a someone he loves.

So, as the song ends, I find myself in a frozen silence for a few minutes. "Is this whole album written about the time between Darcy and before we got engaged?" I have no idea why that is the first question I asked?

"Not all of it, but some of it yes. I haven't had a lot of heartbreak since the last album and heartbreak is an important element when building an album. People want the whole emotional experience of highs and lows. So, I had to pull notes out from when I was heartbroken." As he gives his answer, I understand where he's coming from. His fans don't want an entire album about how perfect his life is or his children or his wife. They want songs that talk about joy AND about struggling and persevering. To write some of that, he had to dig a while back to pull inspiration from  some of our struggles.

"It's really good. No, like really really good. Please tell me that's going to be the second single? Isn't that with Jeff said yesterday?"

"That's the plan at this point. I mean it's that or Watermelon Sugar." As he says that song title I wanna smack him because I know exactly what his game is with that song. I know exactly what they wrote it about and I still can't believe that he's going to be singing about oral sex live on stage all over the world.