The invitation

"Tewkesbury, when did I give you the impression that I liked flowers?"

The young lord had just shown up outside my door, and we were now strolling down the bustling and busy road. The flowers were, admittedly, quite attractive, though I never could understand his odd obsession with them. 

"They're called spreading bellflowers. Wild, of course. Attracted to ancient woodland, wiry, deceptive, refuse to behave according to any rules, but their petals are so delicate, and their flowers-"

"Two things. Your metaphor is tortured, and I don't have delicate petals," I protested. The audacity!

"Oh, and, and, and... It is an invitation to a ball being given by-"

A ball. In case you do not recall, the last one I went to landed me in prison, which is (surprisingly) not an experience I'd like to relive.

"Uh, I am not going to a ball with you. I got arrested at the last one."

"Well, all the reason to dance again, wouldn't you say?"

"You're a nincompoop."

"And you are a coward." 

"How dare you speak to a lady like that? You are a disgrace, Sir."

"And yet you still hold my arm."

"And yet I still hold your arm."

He gaped at me a bit after that, before clearing his throat and asking, "So- will you go?"

"I guess it will be quite amusing."

"Of course."

"And that if I don't go you will find yourself simply overrun with women?"

The corner of his mouth twitched. "Naturally."

"Then yes, I suppose I will attend this idiotic function with you."

"Very well, Miss Holmes. I will be by later with a dress- the ball is tomorrow, and I really ought to have asked you sooner, but I suppose it's to be expected."

"I have plenty of my own dresses."

"Yes, but this event is quite the thing. And for a 'most eligible bachelor' to show up with a mystery woman on his arm- you shall have to look the part."

"What part now, exactly, would that be?"

"That's for me to know, and for you to possibly find out."

"You are infuriating at times."

"I love you too, Enola"

I shook my head, a smile beginning to tug at my mouth, and then we were back to walking along the beautiful cobbled streets of London, laughing and talking and teasing each other.

A/N

So it's the end of the chapter! This bit is quite boring, it's mainly stuff from the movie and a bit of dialogue, but the next bits will be better- this was more of a prologue than an actual part.

Love you all <3