ix. plotting and plans

CHAPTER NINE ─── plotting and plans

𝖂hen Alaelanna had turned ten and one, she had bled for the first time. The girl had thought she'd been dying, running to find her mother in a mess of tears and sobs. It had taken her mother a couple of minutes to calm the girl down, to explain to her what was happening and then the tears at bleeding turned into tears of fear that she would be sent away to marry some lord of a castle.

Her mothed had laughed at the sentiment.

"My sweet dragon, you are not leaving me." She had promised, wiping her daughter's tears as she let the small girl sit on her lap. "I will not let you be married off, not at ten and one."

"So I will be married off?"

"Only to someone that you choose to be married off to." Rhaenyra had replied, pressing kisses to her soft hair. "You will get the same choice I did. You can decide who you wish to marry, whenever you so feel like. If you meet someone you love when you are ten and five, then I will be happy. If you wait until you are two and twenty, I will be happy."

"You will not be upset if I do not marry now?"

"I would much prefer you not to marry now." Alaelanna had been comforted at the thought, burying her head into her mother's arms. "I want for you and your brothers to be able to fall in love, just as I did with your father."

"But you walked into the back of him and threatened to burn him alive."

"Never listen to your father, he lies." Rhaenyra brought a laugh forth from the girl at that. 

"How did you know, with father? That he was the one that you would marry?"

"Your father was my friend long before he became my husband. He made me feel safe, and heard, and he has always been very funny." Rhaenyra smiled, before kissing her daughter's head again. "Most importantly, your father held a lot of respect for me. So much so that he refused to marry me when I first asked him, and then made me wait three years so that I could truly decide whether I loved him or not."

"You loved him."

"I did." Rhaenyra nodded. "I still do, and now my love is multiplied for I have you, Jace, Luke and Camryn."

"I want a love like yours." Alaelanna mused, before smiling. "I will be as happy as you are."