In dreams credit to necie2023

Doug woke to his wife trembling in his arms. He had never seen her like this. She was screaming and heaving. It scared him wide awake.
"Kamala wake up honey, it's Doug, you're safe, it's just a dream!" he said frantically while rocking her in his arms. He could feel when she awoke. Kamala sat up suddenly, heavily breathing and buried her head into her husband's shirt. She began to sob uncontrollably. Doug put his arms around her.
"Honey, it's ok, I'm here, it was just a dream," he repeated.
Kamala pulled back.
"No! It wasn't just a dream. It was real, it happened.
Kamala burst into tears again.
Doug looked at her sadly and hung his head in defeat. Tears filled his own eyes and slipped down his face. Kamala heard his quiet sniffles. She looked up at him.
"Oh Dougie, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sad." She ran her hand over his cheek to wipe his tears. Doug took that same hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. He looked into his wife's gorgeous eyes.
"Baby, you've been so strong. I just wanted to be strong for you. But you've been hurt and I don't know how to fix it." His voice cracked and more tears escaped his eyes. Kamala embraced Doug and nuzzled her face into his neck. She ran her hand gently over his shoulder touching the place where he'd been shot, and squeezed her eyes shut trying to suppress the memories of that day. The day she almost lost her Dougie. They sat like that for a long time comforting each other, holding each other like they were all they had. Because they were all they had. After a while Doug dropped his arms from around Kamala's back and lifted his hand to her chin, tilting it upwards so he could look her in the eye.
"Kamala," he said softly,
"We both have to heal."
Kamala nodded slowly in agreement.
And they would heal after a long, hard road to recovery. But they had each other, always and that would never change.