2 | T W O

It had been forecasted to rain on Lila's seventeenth birthday, but much to her delight the warmth of sunbeams skittered across her face as her eyelashes parted to greet the morning. She could hear her fathers heavy footsteps trekking across wooden floorboards, he undoubtedly was becoming increasingly frustrated with the cake he was making as each second passed. It had become their tradition, since her mother had been taken a decade prior in the midst of a gang war.

Hank Priest was not a cook, much less a baker, but for his little girl he swore he'd give her the same cake Lola had given their daughter since she was one. He appreciated the way his daughter would overlook the forgotten egg shells or burned edges. One year he'd completely miss judged the sugar quantity, but Lila had taken the biggest slice and downed the entire thing with a broad smile on her lips... even Hank had felt nauseous eating the one grossly sweet bite. Cringing slightly he prayed todays cake would be edible. Taking a deep breath he crouched down and pulled the small pan from the oven rack, he placed it on the counter to cool before making his way to her bedroom.

Lila sat up as the knock on her door was followed by it being pushed open, "happy birthday, sweetheart."

"Thanks, old man," she grinned and Hank rolled his eyes.

He was not old, they'd had Lila young. Though he sported a few grey hairs he was just shy off forty. "I swear it's you who is turning me grey," he teased while holding up a small box.

"Pretty sure it's all those fishing documentaries you watch doing you that kind favour..." But the smile on her features was infectious, Hank entered the room and took a seat on the edge of the daisy quilt.

He placed the present on her lap and watched as she unwrapped the box and looked inside, "say something," he nudged her shoulder after minutes had passed in silence.

Lila's mouth dropped open and she practically threw herself at her father, his deep chuckle shook them, "you be careful kid, pretty sure it's going to be you one the back of that damn bike that gives me the greys." She practically beamed and Hank saw a glimpse of Lola in the grin she wore, the sadness in his heart rippled. "Cake should be cool enough now," he cleared his throat and stood up.

Lila bounced behind him, eager to have her birthday cake more than anything because it reminded her of Lola... Felt like her mother's arms wrapped around her as they had in the past when she'd try to sneak a piece of it before it was cut. She placed the box with the key on the marble island before rounding and grabbing the ingredients to make lemon icing. "Looks good, dad," she complimented.

The sadness in his chest evaporated just as quickly as it had came, because Hank knew his daughter genuinely meant it. He could've placed a bowl of batter in front of her and she'd have looked at it like it was the next best thing since sliced cheese. "Hopefully not too sweet," he commented as she lathered the top of the cake with the icing. As always she cut herself a big slice before giving him a more normal ratio, then without waiting Lila shovelled it into her impatient mouth.

"Best cake ever!" She danced her shoulders while finishing off the plate.

Hank simply laughed at her antics, he took a spoonful of his own piece and balked, "Lila, I've had water more flavoursome than this." His deadpanned expression was met with pure disbelief.

Lila shook her head, licked her plate before responding, "must be your taste buds ageing too."

"You're crazy, girl." Hank eyed the box, he loved that his little girl was more interested in that cake than the shiny red metallic beast sitting in their driveway, but he also wanted her to enjoy his gift with him before he had to head out of town and handle the mess Major had gotten himself into. Damn man was out of his fucking mind, though when had that been anything new. "Come, give your old man a heart attack, lets go for a ride."