A Certain Magical Index II

Year: Fall 2010

Episodes: 24

Subbed

Cat.:  Action, Supernatural, Superpowers

Summary:

Index is still a fugitive and many powerful magical organizations and individuals want to take her to use the books in her memory, eliminating her in the process. War between those organizations is also starting to emerge. Index can only rely on her friend Tōma, who has always protected her, along with Misaka and other friends from the Academy.

********************************************************

I found myself being disappointed by season two.

 Orsola Arc (1-5)
Kuroko/Misaka Arc (6-7)
Daihasesai Arc (8-13)
Italy Arc (14-16)
Accelerator Arc (17-22)
More Accelerator/Setting Up Arc( 23-24)

The first sixteen epsidoes I found rather boring. Toma with his preachy speaches and knock out Falcon Punch got old real fast.  All the set ups were same, the bad guy makes their move (this time being the Roman Catholic Church), Toma and the others find out, along the way Toma has to fight them by himself, he starts bitching about righteousness, a moment where the enemy might win (yeah, like thats going to happen), and finally Toma takes it home with a Falcon Punch to the face. So boring! (It took me over a week to watch, where it would normally take me 3 to 4 days. I also stopped and started watching Angel Beats! instead of this.)

I've seen other anime that have similar or even the same set up, but have never come across as boring as this. Part of the reason is because Toma's power is more for defence than attacking and he only has that one move. If you avoid his right hand, he is totally useless. But Toma still, even with his boring fights, is a likeable character.

Also Index the titled character becomes pretty unimportant. The fan service too, I don't mind it, but here it just seemed really misplaced. Like they were trying really hard to pop it into places. The first season had virturally none.

What saved the season for me was Accelerator and Misaka Misaka. Episodes 7 and 17-24.

Accelerator is a far more interseting character and since being shot in the head, his powers are limited. Only able to use them for 15 minutes at a time. Even with this limitation he was still able to kick ass.

This season was left open ended for a third season (or it could just be for the movie that is coming out this year).  The third season (or movie) might be more interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll watch it. It sounds like it is going to be an all out war.

Even with all that, I'm still left wondering if the others are going to find out about Toma's amnesia. I have no desire to read the manga, so I'll just wait and see.

The clip is from episode 7.

I give this a 2.5 out of 5.