We'll Survive?

The sun's first rays were spreading across the sky as our get-away plane came in to land over farmland in the English countryside. As we swooped down, I heard a voice over the noise of the engine.

"This is my parent's farmland," Silver Fox called out, "You asked me to bring you somewhere safe and quiet and this is just the place... and don't worry about intruding, my Mother will love having someone to dote and fuss over."

"You're sure?" I questioned, one brow arching, "I've been worried about putting a strain on everyone ever since we made this plan."

Silver Fox turned his head in my direction but his eyes remained fixed on the recently cleared field, "Trust me, everyone loved your Ma... specially my Ma, we're happy to help."

Once the plane had landed, I ran my hand over Winter's head, breathing a sigh of relief before calling her name. As her eyes opened and she adjusted to the coming daylight, I moved to clamber out of the plane, still holding her tightly.

Silver Fox handed me our bags, smiling at Winter who was still tucked in my coat, "Come on, I'll show you both the way."

I nodded and followed Silver Fox across the grass that soon changed from freshly cut, to long enough to wrap around my knees.

"My folks sure are gonna be glad to see you, they haven't seen your Ma since she left to marry your Father and well... point is they're thrilled about you pair," Silver Fox hollered over his shoulder as we traipsed up the hillside behind him, "There's plenty to occupy yourselves with too. Even if it don't seem it. The meadows, the creeks, marshes and woodlands. Can explore for years and still find something new."

I smiled down at Winter, knowing she'd be keen to explore.

The moment we stepped into the farmhouse we were greeted with a hearty welcome, as though we'd been friends for years.

"Oooh! You must be Joshua... and this, of course, would be Winter?" a short, round lady with curlers in her hair bounded towards us.

Winter tried to hide inside my coat, her golden hair poking out the only tell-tale sign that she was there.

"That's right," I smiled and held out my hand, "I presume you're Mrs Parker?"

"Milly, my dear boy," the lady ignored my hand and gave me an enthusiastic hug, squashing Winter too, "it's what I prefer."

Milly stood back and tried to peak at Winter, waving sweetly at her. Winter, though, clung to me with fright.

"She'll soon warm up to you," I said apologetically, "It's been a bit of a rough 72 hours."

"It's alright, dear. Anyone for cookies?" Milly gestured to a tray of assorted baked goodies.

Winter's tummy rumbled against my chest but she stayed silent.

"No?" Milly sighed, then smiled, "Well, in that case, Tom will show you to your room."

Silver Fox turned in my direction, "Follow me."

I nodded and began to walk across the room, pausing briefly by the tray of baked goods. I looked up at Milly with an unspoken request and she nodded encouragingly, so I grabbed a couple of cookies and passed them to the eager hands tucked inside my coat. Smiling with thanks, I carried on.

Silver Fox took us through the kitchen, past the bathroom and up the stairs to the second floor of the house. We passed a large bedroom, a wardrobe and a second bathroom before Fox finally stopped. He opened the last door at the end of the hall and revealed a small and quaint room with wooden floors, a window and two small beds. In addition, there was a bedside table next to one bed, a fan and a medium sized wardrobe.