CHAPTER 33

When I looked in the mirror, I was scared to death when I saw my reflection. My eyes are so puffy. I look like a skinny pufferfish. I tried to laugh but there was no coming out, not even a smile. I heard my Mom knock on my door, "Anna! Are you awake? Kyle is looking for you downstairs."

Kyle? After what I did last night, what else is there he wants to say? Is he here to sympathize with me? That's funny. "Sorry, Mom, can you tell him that I'm not feeling well today?" I asked through the slightly open door which she agreed on.

I peek at my closed curtain to see if he gets out of the house. I saw him get out of the door and looked where my window was located before he got into his car, which we both rode to come here. To drive away from this town, to go back to the city where the girl he truly loves is waiting for him.

Damn this heart of mine. Because of this damn thing, I lost a very important person in my life. I want to cry but there's no coming out. My tear sacks are all drained because of last night's drama.

It is my birthday today and the greatest gift I ever receive is pain. I told my parents that I don't want a big celebration. Celebrating it inside their house is enough for me. Even if I'm hurting, I decided to continue the celebration they made for me since it's been a long time since I celebrated my birthday with them.

It is located in the plaza, in our favorite spot. On one spot under the big tree are encircled small lights on the ground. This must be the stage. There are also tables and chairs with white roses arranged as their centerpiece.

It seems like I'm a teenager turning eighteen and not a woman who is turning twenty-five. Where did they even get the money for this?

I am planning to wear my casual clothes which are a sleeveless shirt and shorts. But my Mom told me to wear the clothes she hangs behind my door. It is a white off-shoulder knee-length dress. It is simple yet looks elegant. I put my hair into a messy braided bun to pair with my clothes and light makeup to complete the look.

It is about time to start the celebration. Everyone is having a good time, except me. They are all drinking, eating, laughing, singing, and dancing like crazy people. Aside from the fact that I hate parties, I'm also tired of crying last night. I hope this party ends soon.

I was enjoying myself being alone in one corner when they started to play the Sad Song by We the Kings. Some of the guests start to stand up and slow dance in the open area. Most of them are young couples, some are married. They are all sweetly dancing, holding hands, hugging each other, and laughing.

I can't help but smile at all the couples enjoying their company. Even my parents are dancing sweetly too. You can see in their eyes how in love they are with each other.

I'm envious of them. I wish I had someone like Dad who cares and loves me wholeheartedly.

The song is finally over and the guests who are dancing at the center take their seats to have some rest. Except for my Dad who holds a microphone in his hand and stands in the middle of the lights.

"Good evening everyone," he started, "I would like to thank you all for coming tonight to celebrate with us the twenty-fifth birthday of our sweet and loving daughter, Anna," they all looked at me while clapping their hands. I'm not used to many eyes looking at me. I feel so uncomfortable.

"Anna, can you come here, please?" I shake my head but my Dad starts to walk to fetch me from my seat. "What is this, Dad?" I asked him in a whisper but he just smiled at me. I feel like something is going to happen.

"Anna, since we're not able to celebrate your eighteenth birthday before, your mother and I came up with this idea to have a grand celebration. Not just because of your age but also for being a successful businesswoman," he holds my hand using his free hand before he continues with his message.

"Your mother and I are so proud of you. You made it all by yourself and supported our family. We know what you've been through but we would like you to enjoy this night. We love you, Anna. Always and forever. Whatever your decision in life in the future, remember that we are always here for you, to support you," he kissed me on my forehead after his heart-melting speech. "Thanks, Dad," I whispered to his ears and I looked at my Mom who had teary eyes. I move my mouth to form the words thank you and give her a flying kiss.

"Can I have the honor to dance with my lovely daughter?" My Dad asked me while offering his hand to me. I just giggled and nodded to his gentle gestures. I put one hand on his shoulder while the other one is holding his other hand. They started playing the song Thinking out loud by Ed Sheeran.

Along with the music are my father and I dancing. We are just staring at each other with a smile on our faces. Like we are the only ones in the place. Before the first chorus, he let me go and gave my hands to the other man. It is from George.

He is wearing a black business suit with a white rose on his coat's pocket. "Hi, Ms. Beautiful," he greeted me with a big grin on his face. "Hi, Mr. Handsome," I accepted his hand and started to move sideways.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were out of the country?" My curiosity is killing me so I asked him the question that was bothering me. "I am. But there is someone who invited me to be a guest here," he winked at me.

I raise an eyebrow at him for being so mysterious. "Who is it?" But he didn't answer me, instead, he kissed me on my cheeks before letting me go and handing me to another man.