chapter three - panic

A flash of blonde consumes me as soon as Roan and I step through the double doors. I'm taken by surprise. Roan instantly snaps into protector mode. He goes to pull Clarke off of me. I wave my hand to stop him. 

"Good to see you, Clarke." I tell her, unsure how else to react. She steps back. "Its only been a few weeks."

"Anything can happen in a few weeks, but also you stuck to your word. My people are no longer in danger because of you." She admits. The hug makes more sense now. I scan the room. No one else is in here besides Lexa and a few guards. 

"What are we doing here?" Roan speaks. I whip my head around and glare at him. 

"Don't speak to the commander like that, Roan." I warn. 

"No its okay. I understand his concern." Lexa tells me. "I called the ambassadors here for a reason. I do not wish to reveal it yet." My face scrunches up with confusion. 

"Why can't we know? You expect me to travel all this way for no reason?" I growl taking a step towards Lexa. Clarke places herself between us. 

"Patience, Kali-Daeva. Don't test me." Lexa states. "You will know tomorrow, like everyone else. You're dismissed. Guards take Kallie and her guest to their chambers." Lexa orders. Now I'm even more confused. Why is Lexa acting like this? The guards grab Roan and I, pulling us out of the room. The double doors are shut on our faces. I yank myself out of the guards' hold. 

"We can walk ourselves to our room." I huff, glaring at the guards. They push Roan towards me and return to their post at Lexa's door. I storm off towards the room that once felt like home. 

"What the hell was that?" Roan demands the second I close the door behind us. I begin pacing around the room. 

"I don't know. Something is wrong. Something must have happened. Skaikru must be in trouble." I ramble, walking back and forth. I bump into Roan when he blocks my path.

"Alright slow down, strisis. Let's just get some rest and leave the all the anxiety for tomorrow." Roan suggests.

"How exactly do you propose I do that, huh? I can't do this Roan. I should have never left Polis. I don't know how to rule." I can feel my heart begin to race. "Azgeda is probably better in the hands of Kai. At least we wouldn't get walked all over like this." I cry out. I'm spiraling I can feel it. Roan puts a hand on my shoulder. I know he is just trying to calm me down. But my panicking mind only wants one person and he is hundreds of miles from here. 

"Kallie, what's wrong?" I hear Roan ask me. I didn't even realize I am bent over, gasping for air. Roan sounds like he is miles away. I can't breathe. I try to stand up, but my vision goes black.

----

"What's wrong with her? Is it poison?" A voice asks. My vision slowly comes back. I quickly sit up, confused.

"What happened?" I ask, looking around the room. I am laying on a couch, with Roan kneeling next to me. Clarke stands by the door. Another woman that I don't recognize is holding her fingers to my wrist. 

"Her pulse is back to normal." The woman states. I snatch my arm out of her grasp.

"No, strisis, its alright." Roan tells me quietly. "She's here to help." He looks over to the woman. "Is it poison?" He demands. The woman shakes her head with a faint smile on her lips. 

"No. She is perfectly fine." She tells Roan. "It was a panic attack." All eyes in the room are on me. My face grows red. Panic attack? What does that even mean? Sounds like a weakness to me. 

"Has the Queen been under a lot of stress lately?" The woman asks Roan like I'm not sitting right in front of her. 

"Mom, thats enough. Let's leave them to get some rest." Clarke says, grabbing the woman's arm.

"Mom?" I blurt out without thinking. Clarke sighs.

"Yes. Kallie meet my mom. Mom meet Kallie, the Ice Nation Queen." Clarke says quickly, then pulls at her mom's arm again.

"Wait, that's Kallie?" The woman whispers to her daughter. Clarke nods. My eyebrows scrunch together. How does she know my name? 

"Mom, its time to go." Clarke says. Her mother shakes her head. 

"Just give me a second." The woman mutters. She walks over to where I sit on the couch. She sticks out her hand. "I'm Abby, it's nice to finally meet you." My eyes grow wide at her gesture, but I quickly compose myself. I hesitantly take her hand and shake it. 

"You're Clarke's mother?" I repeat. She nods her head again. 

"Its a tough job." She says with a laugh. I can't help but smile. Her presence is comforting and familiar. "Well you let me know if you need anything else. Anything at all. Alright?" Abby tells me. I nod in agreement and watch her leave with Clarke. 

"I know what you're thinking." Roan speaks from beside me. I refuse to look at him. "She's so similar." He says. "Do you miss her?"

"Everyday." I whisper. Roan moves to sit beside me on the couch. 

"You know she is the reason my family was able to escape, right?" He tells me quietly. This is news to me. I look over and wait for him to keep talking. "Your mother arranged our escape and found us a safe place to run to." 

"I had no idea." I say honestly. I grab Roans hand. "I'm glad she was able to help someone before she died." 

Roan tells me a few more memories he has of my mother and then we both agree to call it a night. However, I toss and turn for hours in my bed. My mind keeps replaying what Abby said about me. I wonder over the possibilities of who she could have heard my name from. My mind tries to be rational and tell me it was probably Clarke or Lexa. But my heart hopes that it was Bellamy going around and telling the sky people about me. I haven't allowed myself to think about him - until now. Grief and longing are not new emotions for me, but I've never missed someone like this. I can only hope our fate is to meet again.