Edith

"Will, I understand your frustration and I'm sorry, but our court order states that I get the kids until five pm on Christmas Day. I've worked with Mama and Daddy to schedule our Christmas around these times, so please don't make this day harder than it's already gonna be. I told you I'd let you have them at four if you wanted, and this is the only thing I can make work," I explained. 

"Edith, I'd like to have my kids for my family's Christmas dinner too while the sun is still out," Will continued to argue. "I'm not making this hard. I asked to get them earlier and you refuse, so I don't know what the hell else to do."

"Our kids," I corrected. "I'd like to not have to discuss this any further, Will. I've offered to let you have an extra hour but if you don't accept it, we will see you at five P.M. on Christmas Day," I said blandly, hoping he would get the hint that this was the end of the conversation.

"Whatever, Edith. You always complicate things," Will said before ending the call abruptly. 

I laid my head down on my desk, trying my best not to cry since my students would be back from lunch in 2 minutes. As if the holiday season wouldn't be difficult enough since it was our first one divorced, he is arguing over a court order I have no control over and I even offered to accommodate a bit. Even though I was going to try not to, I knew this conversation and "you always complicate things" would stick with me the rest of the day. 

I swiped the wrapper of my lunch sandwich off my desk and into the trash can right as my kids got back into the room. 

"Ms. Knox, I mean Brooks, Annie called me a bad word at lunch and won't say sorry," one of the kids whined. They were all still getting used to my name change, but so was I, even though Will and I had been divorced for seven months already. 

"Guys, you know we don't call each other names or use mean words," I reminded them, as if it would do any good. I loved my job, but rarely do these kids listen to what they're told. It just makes our job harder. "Get your math notebooks out, please, and write the learning target for today at the top of a new page. We're starting area today, so you all need to pay close attention since this is all new."

I made it through the rest of the day and when I got out to my car at 3:45 P.M., I dropped my head onto my headrest and closed my eyes for a couple minutes. It had already been a long week and it was only Tuesday.

My two minutes of peace out of the entire day were rudely interrupted by a phone call from my mom. 

"Mama, I love you to pieces but it better be important. Today has been terrible and even more terrible," I said.

"Oh, it's nice to talk to you too!" she replied sarcastically.

I laughed. "What's going on?"

"I just wanted to call and let you know Ila Walker passed away this morning. Did you know that sweet lady was already ninety-six?" Mama informed me.

My heart sunk. "You're kidding. I loved Miss Ila. When is the funeral?"

"Visitation is Friday night, funeral is Saturday morning at ten A.M.," Mama said. "Ya know, I hate to turn this conversation, but I bet ole Blake will be back in town for the funeral."

I felt my cheeks turn red and grow warm. "Oh," was all I could manage to sputter.

Mama laughed on the other end of the line. "You better think of something else besides 'oh' when he asks to take you out for dinner on Sunday after church."

"Oh, Mama, hush. I'm freshly divorced. Surely Blake Walker knows that and would have enough decency to know I'm not interested in dating anybody this soon," I spit out. But maybe that was a lie. Maybe part of me hoped Blake would ask me to dinner. "And I have kids, too," I quietly added. "Blake wouldn't wanna be tied down with all that."