Marlboro Reds and coffee

With it being 1987, every exit on the highway led to some kind of small diner or drive through. Dex figured it would be nice to sit down and eat, so you're basically just waiting to turn off into the exit.
"What's the name of the diner we're going to?" you asked, to make conversation.
"Aunt Lynn's diner." He replied. "Smokes allowed?" You asked, anticipating a cigarette and some coffee to heal your hangover. "I wouldn't go if it wasn't allowed, you know me." He was right, you should've known dex would never eat at a smoke-free diner.
You got out of the car and stretched your legs, you were tempted to rumage through your bag for some makeup but Dexter was already heading in, signing for you to come with. You sighed, feeling so dirty. You followed him into the small diner, you got smacked in the face by the smell of cigarettes and greasy diner food. Dex led you to his favorite table by the window. You guys sat down across from each other. The waitress came by and took your orders. She brought the coffee first. You put half and half in your coffee and lit up your favorite cigarettes. Coffee and Marlboro Reds. You looked out the window, almost spacing out. Dexter watched you smoke and sip on your coffee.

Dexter's thoughts---
I've always had a thing for her. I shouldn't think of her like that, it's obvious she's in pain and she's my closest friend, I need to be there and not shove a relationship in her face.
But jesus christ, is she gorgeous.
-----------------------------

You looked over at Dex and met his gaze. You didn't feel flustered, you didn't feel butterflies. You just feel sad. You want to open up again, you want to be a part of his life again, but you just don't know how to do that in a healthy way. "Dex? Can I be honest with you?" You asked as you blew out cigarette smoke. He snapped out of it and nodded his head as he took a drag from his cig. "I'm so lost, man." You said as your voice started to break. "I just wanna be a part of your life again but I don't know how to do that in a healthy way." He reached over the table and grabbed your hand, comforting you. "Hey listen I don't know what you're dealing with, but whatever it is we're gonna figure it out together. I want you to be open and honest with me, more than anything. Fuck being healthy, if you need to get drunk and cry for an hour to me, then do it! Okay, y/n?"
You buried your face in your hands and nodded. You let out the last of your tears and sighed as you lit up the last cigarette in your pack. Dex left money on the table and you guys were out.
He looked at you, and stopped for a second. You looked back. As you guys were sitting in the car he started to think. You said "What's on your mind, huh?" He had that look he wore on his face when he had an idea. That face was burned into your memory from your teen years fucking around and getting into trouble with him. He chuckled.

"Let's go get a drink."