III: SCIPIO ORIENTALIS

• Dedicated to Amalia Shaslika M.

LUCIUS CORNELIUS SCIPIO

Legatus Legionis Legio XX

Cappadocia, Summer AD 19.

Scipio sat on a block stone outside the officers' part in the late Germanicus' army camp in Cappadocia, which was now led by his second-in-command, Pompeius. Pompeius was a forever loyal man to both country and Germanicus; following him faithfully through his campaigns in Germania and Gaul. He was his favourite officer... not because that he had connections in Rome or because of his stunning and soldierly looks, but because he was the most reliable officer in the army. But Scipio thought and looked into the sandy mountains afar; Pompeius is a dangerous man. With a mutinous large army like this, he could even march on Rome himself. And who would stop him? Tuditanus? Tiberius himself? SEJANUS? Bah. He's probably the best available.

Scipio looked to the beautiful Cappadocian highlands lying miles in front of him. Nothing like this exists in Rome. Why do people fight over a pile of shit like Rome while there are so many beauties here?

Oh yeah.

Power, Glory... Father loved telling me how famous our family was during the Republic. We were like kings- like kings. We held the power, we held the money, we held the prestige. We held the grips and tides of the city... right until Sulla took over. But that's the past. I don't care about it anymore.

Germanicus said we should look to the future not the past. He despised how we Romans cared about ancestry- it's nothing but blood. Nothing but fucking blood in our veins that won't fucking matter anywhere else except Rome.

"Legatus Scipio, sir" a centurion had approached him from behind while he was daydreaming. He had to wait for several moments before Scipio realised he was even there.

"Hmm?" he replied, slightly turning back revealing his sharp blue eyes to the centurion. "Pompeius wants you at his quarters"

"Very well" the athletic man picked himself up from the stone block. "Let's go then"

The men talked in circles, usually per decani without their armour. The only ones who wore armour were the ones on guard duty and the ones who had just returned from patrol. As the two passed many men saluted them, which, Scipio easily waved off.

"What's it that he wants?"

"I don't know, sir." "He called all the legates of the seven legions to his tent."

Rebellion.

"Ahh" Scipio replied.

"What are your opinions, Centurion?" he asked.

"We aren't allowed to state opinions, sir."

"Oh come on." He grunted. "That's an order"

The Centurion, having no choice, replied. "I am no expert on this, sir."

"Come on Sextus-" he called the Centurion by name. Sextus Lentulus and his ancestors have been very loyal servants of the Scipio over the decades; usually serving as their chief centurions and cavalry officers. Caius Lentulus, father of Sextus, was chief adjutant to Publius Cornelius Scipio, Lucius' father when on campaign and during his time as consul tens of years ago. In turn Sextus, became a great friend of Lucius and served him like his father served Lucius' father.

"but, sir-"

He's hiding something. "Sextus we've been the best of friends for many years now! Since we were boys"

"I can tell you anything, so can you tell anything to me" "Do you not trust me, Sextus?"

"Yes, sir. I trust you with all my life sir but my opinions are just..."