part 2/the epilgoue

So maybe it shouldn't have come as a surprise when, three weeks later, they kissed.

You see, Sangyeon needed to get married. Or at least, he needed to have an heir– which generally involved marriage. The problem was that thanks to their little coup d'etat, the Crown's Elder Council was currently filled only with Juyeon and Chanhee. The reason that's an issue is that in past years the King's (or Queen's) spouse was chosen by the Elder Council. To put everything simply, Juyeon and Chanhee were going to have to pick Sangyeon's fiance, and just about every noble's daughter wanted to be the new Queen.

"Really Sangyeon, you can't dismiss every well-mannered young lady that we bring to you," Juyeon said, lounging back on one of the sofas that sat in his brother's office. "We've searched through the kingdom with a fine-toothed comb for someone who we think is suitable for you. We aren't just throwing seeds to the wind here."

Sangyeon, who was sitting at his desk overlooking records that Chanhee had brought to him, sighed. "I'm very well aware of that, Juyeon."

Seemingly not hearing him, the younger continued. "And if it is not a woman you desire, so be it. There are plenty of fine young men if that's what you want. Even in just our Royal Guard."

"Let me assure you, dear brother, that gender is hardly on my mind at this point."

Juyeon waved his hand dismissively. "Very well." And with that, he stood and left the room, off to finish his own duties presumably.

Sangyeon let his pen rest in the ink bowl as he raised a hand to his forehead. "I do wonder when he will grow up. His nonchalant attitude will get him a stab in the stomach I'm sure."

There was a snort from behind him, though it was quickly covered by a cough. Sangyeon couldn't resist the smile that spread on his cheeks as he turned his head to where Jaehyun was standing in the corner. "Something funny, old friend?"

"I must say, your lack of confidence in Youngjae is quite unorthodox. I believe from my own perceived evidence that he is more likely to remove his right eye than to let a sword pierce his prince," Jaehyun said, face red as he tried to hide his humor.

"His prince?"

"His prince."

This time, laughter was inevitable.

👑

Chanhee stood to the right of his eldest brother, back stiff as they all watched nobles filter into the ballroom, daughters hanging onto their fathers' arms, dressed in their finest gowns in hopes to capture the eye of the young new ruler. This was the first ball since the overthrowing of the late king, and since Chanhee's return to the capital, and the citizens were overwhelmed with joy to see their beloved Third Prince once more. Chanhee was greeted with more 'we're glad your back's and 'we prayed to the angels for your health's than he thought would be possible, and more than once he had to give Sunwoo a look to drag the nobles away from him.

"Sunwoo-ya," he whispered, placing his cup down on the table and turning to the guard behind him. "I feel quite tired. I think it best I retire now." Sunwoo inclined his head, but there was a flash of panic in his eyes that he didn't try to hide. Chanhee smiled. "Oh, Sunwoo no. I'm okay, this has just been a very strenuous evening and I feel sleep creeping upon me. There is no one in this room that has brought me harm tonight." He rested his hand on Sunwoo's arm and tried his best to give the poor boy any semblance of reassurance.

"I shall inform your brothers. Wait here," Sunwoo said, stepping farther down to where Sangyeon and Juyeon were sitting. He moved to whisper in their ears, eyes glancing up to meet Chanhee's every so often; lightning struck each and every time.