Chapter 10 - Strange happenings (Part IV)

Night fell over the academy as Magnus Aurelius, president of the student council and top graduate of his class was once again making his way across the courtyard. He was headed towards the abandoned ruins that were located just across the plains——the girl following him knew that very well by now. It was not the first time he went there. This was the first time she would actually follow him all the way, though. She was determined to get to the bottom of it.
Why was he going there? And why has he been acting so strange these past few weeks? Not just weeks. It's been more than three months now!

"Air Bubble," she whispered, creating a bubble of air around her that blocked out the sound of her footsteps as she followed him across the courtyard, being careful to always walk near walls and objects so she could hide should he happen to turn around. So far, it didn't seem like he was suspecting anything. When he came up to the main gate, he pulled out a big, rusty key and placed it in the lock, but not before looking around if anybody is watching. Arianna was sitting quietly as a mouse, hidden behind a statue of a large lion in the courtyard, covered by her bubble of air. She peeked from behind the corner when she heard him unlock the door and step out, closing and locking it behind himself once more. If it was anyone but him, they wouldn't be able to walk out so casually in the middle of the night. As the student council president, he had the key to the entrance just like the teachers. The girl trailing him didn't have that option. But she had plenty of other ways to get across the high stone walls.

"Transformation: Great White Eagle," she said and took on her eagle form. She flapped her wings and took to the skies, soaring over the wall and keeping her eyes on the ground, where Magnus was walking along the stony path. She kept flying at high altitude to avoid him noticing her if he happened to look up for some strange reason.

Of course, he didn't, and the transformed girl watched him veer off the path and make his way across the meadow. Not long after he arrived at the ruins of an old castle or fortress that's been abandoned for over fifty years now. Ever since the end of the great racial war. He went inside through a hole in the wall and the bird trailing him descended down, perching itself on the roof of one of its many towers. Arianna pondered for a bit about how to do this. Should she just transform back and go inside in her human form? No, that's way too risky! But an eagle is too big to follow him unnoticed.

A mockingbird!
she suddenly remembered. That's a transformation I can use!

She descended down to the hole in which he disappeared and undid her transformation only to cast a new one immediately after. The girl shrunk down to a tenth of her size and assumed the form of a small bird, flying inside in search of the suspicious young man. She found him just a few corridors in, standing in front of a cell door. He slowly pushed it open and stepped into the room behind them.

What does he have in there?
the girl thought and flew after him across the damp hallway.

The only thing illuminating it was the moon that shone through the cracked ceiling. However, the door got slammed into her face and she had to find another way in, lest she gives away her presence. She went back out and flew around the ruins, remembering the location of the room. Sure enough, there was a barred window on the outer side, and the mockingbird perched itself upon the cold stones, peeking its small beak inside. Arianna almost let out a chirp when she saw what was in there. Or more accurately, who was in there. There were two Magnuses in the room, one bound on a rack and stripped naked, numerous cuts and bruises covering his trembling body. The other one——the one she followed——sneered over him and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Magnus, Magnus..." he spoke with a derisive tone. "Why do you insist to keep things hidden from me? Do you enjoy the pain? The suffering? Wouldn't it be easier to just tell me what I want to know and then we could end this farce?"

"I...don't..." the starved and dehydrated shadow of a human mumbled unintelligibly, his eyes tired and the light all but drained from them.

"What was that?" the other Magnus leaned in closer to make out his words. "Speak up!"

He coughed. "I don't...know anything...I swear...."

"Still acting tough, are you?" his interrogator wasn't really buying this. "I guess we have to convince you to talk some more then!"