Two

"(Y/N)..." You hear a soft voice calling to you. "Wake up..."

You mumble something incoherent and roll over. "If you don't get up, I'm gonna tickle you!" Your eyes shoot open and you jump up in a sitting position. "No tickles!" Your mom giggles at your faux anger. You eventually crack a smile. Your mom stands up and dusts off her morning gown. "(Y/N), do you know what today is?" You shrug. "Monday?" She sighs. "What day is Monday?" You pause and think for a moment until it hits you. "My Birthday!" Your mom nods happily. "That means you will receive your quest today. Get dressed, Mimi has already made your breakfast." Your mom exits your room and closes the door behind her.

You finally breathe a sigh of relief. You can't let your mom see how nervous you are for your quest. In the royal family, a princess will be given a quest by the oracle of the universe and must complete it before she can be crowned queen. You must be thinking, "Oh, what about the king?" Well, the royal (L/N) family are beings of the stars and cosmos. A new heir is born from a dying star, once a century. Our hair is made of stardust and we wear gowns of nebulae. There has never been a male heir, or a King. We are not allowed to love, and we do not require a second monarch. And you're fine with that. You're just nervous that your quest will be too hard, because the quests of your mom, grandmother, and great grandmother seemed almost impossible.

Your great grandmother harnessed the power of the cosmos to break the centuries-old magical barrier erected by the mages of old. She was blessed with the crown and the oracle was created to honour her. The then-monarchical family, the Dreemurrs, stepped down forever and retired to a happy life raising their children, Chara the human and Asriel the monster.

Your grandmother did something even more crazy, in your opinion. The oracle foretold of a dark power that was destroying parallel universes of monsters that were so similar but so different from ours. Your grandmother used the magic blessed upon her by the stars combined with the almost-fantastical science of humans to part the seams of the known universe to create a bridge from other universes to ours, and welcomed the monsters of five other universes. Then she sealed the rift forever, trapping the dark power on the other side.

Those universes, combined with ours, became the six monster clans. The clans were named Tale, the original, Fell, the more violent universe, Swap, the universe where each monster has a mind swapped with another, SwapFell, The violently swapped universe, Outer, the floating city filled with monsters of great power, and the most sad one of all, the solitary North clan. The North clan were starved in their universe, leading them to consume human flesh and monster dust to survive. They were quite feral when rescued, but have since become a quiet but peaceful clan.

Your mother's quest was to create a safe home for all monsters to live in peace because the humans were preparing to start a war due to the population boom. She found a uninhabited country the furthest south on the globe and all monsters relocated there. Monster magic was able to change the climate to become more desirable. Instead of snow, ice and glaciers, we now had cities, forests, mountains, beaches, and deserts. Our country was later named 'Home', in honour of all the Dreemurrs had done for the (L/N) family. In the very center of our country stood a statue honouring the Dreemurrs. It was the human child, Chara, and the the monster child, Asriel, holding hands while former Queen and King Toriel and Asgore Dreemurr each had their hands on the children's shoulders.

You were jolted out of your thoughts by Mimi, your mother's right hand, floated into the room, leaving behind shimmering magic. She was a beautiful monster. She had a pale face with large eyes that contained black spaces with white irises. She had a large rose on her head that made up her hair, and a slim body with a flower petal gown. she hovered half a foot over the ground and magic particles constantly shed off her body. She approached, giving you a worried look. "(Y/N), stars, you better not be sick, or your mother will be worried out of her mind." She reached out a soft pale hand and gently ran her fingertips across your browbone, sighing in relief when she felt no fever.

You pushed her hand away from your skull. "I'm okay, Mimi," She eyed you skeptically. "I really am. I was just lost in thought, about the whole 'oracle quest' thing. I don't know if I can do it." Mimi came closer, and brushed your hair from your eyes. "I know it seems like the universe is against you, with the huge quests your Mother and Grandmothers had to complete, but I know you have a strong soul." She took one of your hands and lifted you to your feet. "I know you can tackle any quest you are given. We all believe in you." You smiled at Mimi. "Thank you Mimi." She smiled gently at you, and let go of your hand, floating towards your bedroom door. "You may want to get dressed, you wouldn't want the council to see your pajamas, and make sure you brush that bedhead, its all over the place." You blushed in embarrassment, and turned towards your closet once she closed the door.

You picked out a simple, floor length gown that was black, but once you put in on, a beautiful rainbow galaxy began to swirl in the fabric itself. Now, for your hair. Your hair was pretty easy to manage, as long as you weren't mad. Then it began to float as if gravity itself did not affect it. You brushed it out and watched as the colours shifted in the mirror. You could see constellations and star dust in the strands of your hair. It was beautiful. You had always felt a connection to the universe, as it created you. You stood straighter in the mirror.

You were created for them.

Your people.

And you couldn't disappoint them.