Knuckles

Knuckles by YamatosSenpai

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/12007305/1/Knuckles

Chapter 1
"Hey, Tiger," Keith murmured, stepping behind the bartender to discreetly whisper in his ear. "You've got three gentlemen waiting for you in your office."
Kotetsu nodded wordlessly, finishing the mojito in front of him. He slid it across the bar to the middle-aged salaryman on his stool. "Here ya go, Garner-san."
"Looks delicious, Tiger." The man, Mr. Garner, said sipping slowly. "Mmm... Good."
Kotetsu wiped his hands on the towel behind the bar. His left hand tingled, two fingers missing above the knuckle. He removed his apron, laying it across the counter with a heavy sigh. "Keith-san, could you keep an eye on the shop?"
"Sure, Boss." Keith said with a nod, wrapping Kotetsu's apron around his waist. He washed his hands quickly, watching Kotetsu disappear down the hall and around the corner.
Kotetsu pushed open the door to his office, groaning internally as he stepped into the dark, cramped room. "Is there a reason you're sitting in the dark?" Kotetsu snapped, reaching for the lamp on his desk. He jumped when someone grabbed his arm, their cold hand wrapping around his wrist.
The light switched on and Kotetsu discovered he was face to face with the bane of his existence. "You've got a nice place here, Mr. Kaburagi. It's small and outdated, but it's not without its charm. My parents were immigrants, like yourself, immigrants need to stand together..."
"Martinez-san," Kotetsu glowered, wrenching his arm free from Jake's grip. "What brings you here?"
"I've been sending people for weeks." Jake drawled, adjusting in Kotetsu's desk chair. "You won't speak to them. What am I to do?"
"I didn't expect you to pay me a visit." Kotetsu said tersely. "You're such a busy man, after all."
"Yes, I am." Jake agreed. He looked toward his two goons, nodding slightly.
Kotetsu was thrust forward, the two men pinning his shoulders down against his cluttered desk. His temple hit the thick wood, a small 'oompf' escaping his lips. He grimaced as the two men pressed him down, Jake towering above him. "Ouch."
"Mr. Kaburagi," Jake breathed, his hand smoothing down Kotetsu's back. "I wanna come to an agreement. The world is changing. It's not the place it was when you opened this shop. You need protection in today's world."
"Funny." Kotetsu muttered angrily. "You're the only guys that bother me."
"It's not much." Jake breathed, his palm slapping loudly against Kotetsu's cheek. He smiled, relishing the frustration etched on Kotetsu's face. He slapped Kotetsu's face again, smirking even wider. "You can afford my protection."
"I don't have an extra $1400 a month to pay you." Kotetsu confessed, his cheeks burning with shame. His face felt warm where Jake had hit him. "You can't get blood from a turnip."
"You can give it." Jake drawled. "Or I can take it."
"Fuck you." Kotetsu spat, his eyes narrowing. He groaned as one of the goons knocked their knee into his back roughly.
"I'm a generous guy..." Jake said, turning around and inspecting the row of Kotetsu's personal pictures. "You can pay me half."
"I'll pay you none of it." Kotetsu insisted, following Jake with his eyes.
"All your neighbors have already paid for the month." Jake explained. "Your shop is the last, wittle one. You're all alone and vulnerable."
"I refuse." Kotetsu said, suddenly knocking backward with force. He stood, his fists connecting with the two goons. He eyed Jake, enraged by the other's smiling face. Kotetsu opened the door to his office, gesturing the three men out. "I don't need protection. Good evening."
"We'll be back." Jake said simply, nodding at Kotetsu as he walked past.
"Don't bother." Kotetsu growled.
"You might change your mind." Jake mused. "Maybe your wife and child can convince you..."
"D-d-d-don't y-you dare!" Kotetsu stammered, his dark skin reddening further.
"Now, now..." Jake chuckled. "I know it's time to go when Mr. Kaburagi starts to st-st-stutter."
Kotetsu punched the wall, his eyes watering as he busted his knuckle open. "Fuck."
"Hey, Tiger." Keith called out as Kotetsu crossed the floor. "How'd it go?"
"Nothing to worry about, Keith-san." Kotetsu said, shrugging nonchalantly. He grabbed a clean apron from the hook and tied it around his waist slowly, his hands still shaking. Kotetsu washed his hands slowly, focusing on the open skin on his right hand. "So," Kotetsu began, calling over his shoulder. "Whaddaya makin'?"
"I'm finishing up table two." Keith explained quickly. "You'll take table three's. Two Howling Wolfs and a Cosmo."
"Easy enough." Kotetsu sighed, busying himself with preparing the drinks.
"It's a slow night." Keith pointed out, placing the drinks he prepared on a serving tray.
"Every night is a slow night, Keith." Kotetsu said, mixing expertly.
"It'll get better." Keith assured Kotetsu, his grey-blue eyes wide and bright. He lifted the tray, spinning out from behind the bar. He smiled naturally, his handsome face beaming as he served the drinks.
"Hey, I'm back." Ivan muttered, stepping behind the bar without as much as a nod in Kotetsu's direction. He placed the now-cold food he was supposed to bring back for Keith and Kotetsu on the counter.
"That 15 minute break lasted an hour too long." Kotetsu chastised, fixing Ivan with a deathglare.
"Sorry, sorry." Ivan groaned, pressing his hands together apologetically. He turned around immediately after, ducking underneath the bar to rifle through a box of cutlery packages. "I went to Old Man Hiro's for dinner and while I was there he was getting a shakedown."
"Damn it." Kotetsu growled under his breath. Kotetsu turned around, his arms folded across his chest. "You stayed out of it right?"
"Of course." Ivan nodded, his face still hidden beneath the bar. "You've only told us a million times not to get involved."
"Good. I'm glad you listened." Kotetsu said, falsely sweet. He grabbed the back of Ivan's neck firmly, his voice lowered menacingly. "Now show me your face, Ivan-kun."
"Mr. Tiger...?" Ivan tensed, his face downcast.
"Look at me." Kotetsu demanded.
Ivan looked up, his violet eyes teary. He gulped, as if he stood in front of his father, and stood up. Kotetsu frowned, exhaling heavily as he trailed his finger along the bruise on Ivan's jaw. Ivan winced and Kotetsu shook his head, turning back to his work. He finished hurriedly, passing them off onto Keith to serve. And a few moments later he passed an icepack to Ivan. "Keep that on it. It'll keep the swelling down."
"Thanks, Tiger." Ivan said, holding the icepack against his face.
"Was it our friend Martinez-san or one of his goons?" Kotetsu asked, cleaning up the bar anxiously.
"One of his goons." Ivan answered.
"Good." Kotetsu sighed in relief. "Their boss is the creepiest motherfucker I've ever met..."
"I didn't pick a fight," Ivan explained urgently. "I promise."
"I know, Ivan-kun." Kotetsu groaned. "Guys like that... They don't need an excuse to stir up trouble. I hate people like that, hot-blooded youths..." Kotetsu shook his head, feeling like an old man. "I'm just glad you're okay."
"Keith," Ivan called across the room, his cheeks pink. "I'm back. Take your 15."
"Thanks," Keith murmured as he walked toward them, grabbing his sack of lukewarm food. "Thank you." He sidestepped a few yards into the kitchen. He leaned against the wall, tearing into his food hungrily.
"You too, Boss." Ivan suggested. "I can handle the shop by myself while you eat."
"Ha." Kotetsu shook his head, flashing Ivan a crooked smile. "I don't think so."
"What? I can do it!" Ivan argued.
"You're not old enough to even be behind the bar, Ivan-kun." Kotetsu pointed out. "Don't get me in trouble with the law too."
"Yes, Sir." Ivan pouted.
"I won't take long." Keith said behind his hand, chewing.
"Take your time." Kotetsu insisted. "I'm fine."
Three hours later, the bar was finally closed. Kotetsu grabbed a bottle of sochu and a glass. He poured himself a drink and sat down as Ivan vacuumed between the tables. Keith emerged from the kitchen, his clothes soaking wet from the dishwater. He smiled at Kotetsu and sat down next to him. "I'm done."
"Ah, so we're just waiting on Ivan-kun then." Kotetsu murmured, nursing his liquor tiredly.
"You can go ahead, Tiger." Keith offered. "I can lock up when Ivan's finished."
"Thanks, but, well, I just think it's best if I stay." Kotetsu breathed out, worrying himself over Jake Martinez's appearance.
"I'm fully capable of defending the shop, Mr. Tiger." Keith said with a humored smile. He looked down at his hands, his muscled arms flexing.
"I'm sure you are." Kotetsu agreed, his eyes lingering a little too long over Keith's well-defined physique. "But it's not your problem to deal with."
"Goodnight, Mr. Tiger." Ivan said, zipping up his jacket with a shiver. "I'll see you next weekend."
"Good luck on your finals, Ivan-kun." Kotetsu replied. "See ya Friday night."
"Good night, Tiger." Keith said, his hands in his pockets. "I'll see you tomorrow."
"See ya tomorrow, Keith-san," Kotetsu said. "Thanks for your hard work."
"You're welcome..." Keith whispered with a sheepish smile. "Thank you too. Thanks."
Kotetsu locked the door and dropped the keys into his pocket, patting it out of habit. "Be careful heading home, you two."
"You too." Keith exclaimed, waving his hand above his head. He walked side by side with Ivan, walking the teenager home since they lived in the same direction. And Kotetsu stood watch until they disappeared from view.
Kotetsu had just barely turned the corner when a hand was thrown over his mouth. Kotetsu inhaled sharply, pushing up forcefully, nearly knocking the man holding him to the ground. Kotetsu thrashed violently, his eyes clamped shut as he struggled to free himself from the unbelievably tight grip.
"Calm down, Mr. Kaburagi..." Jake whispered, revealing himself to be the man holding Kotetsu.
Kotetsu opened his eyes just as glass shattered around the corner. Kotetsu snapped his head to side; freeing himself from Jake's silencing hand. "Y-y-ou asshole! That b-better not be my windows!"
"This didn't have to happen." Jake explained, his body straining to hold Kotetsu in place.
Kotetsu growled, finally pulling himself free from Jake's hold. He rushed back around the corner, toward the bar. He cursed under his breath, licking his lips as he surveyed the damage. "Broken windows are a pain, but they're easy to replace." Jake taunted. "But if someone were to steal all your liquor..."
"And fuck up the inside real good..." One of the goons continued, stepping through the broken window and into the dark shop. Kotetsu crossed his arms to stop himself from hitting someone.
"Mr. Tiger?" Keith called out, running back toward the shop. He skid to a stop as soon as he spotted Jake Martinez and his goons. "Are you alright?"
"I'm fine." Kotetsu answered. "Go home, Keith."
"Ivan called the police." Keith said loudly. He was surprised when Kotetsu grimaced at his words. "When we heard the glass break. They're on their way."
"Tch." Jake snarled. He reached for Keith, stomping toward him furiously. Keith steeled himself for contact but Kotetsu stepped between them, blocking Keith from Jake's reach. "Always a gentleman, Mr. Kaburagi."
"Go home, Keith." Kotetsu ordered, his gaze locked on Jake's.
"There's no way I can do that..." Keith choked out.
"We're leaving." Jake said, snapping his fingers. A limousine peeled around the corner nosily, stopping beside Jake. The three goons climbed out through the broken window, carrying boxes of expensive liquor. They leered at Kotetsu and Keith as they tucked their stolen goods into the trunk of the getaway car. "I'll be around in a week or two to pick up your first payment."
"Don't fuck with me." Kotetsu snapped, anger ripping through his body. His entire form shook, his blood pressure rising dangerously. He lunged for Jake, but Keith grabbed him, barely stopping him from attacking the notorious gangster.
"Don't do it, Tiger." Keith warned, his body pressed against Kotetsu's.
"Listen to the pretty boy." Jake murmured, sliding into the back of the limousine. "I'd hate to have to hurt you, Old Man."
Jake was long gone before the police arrived on the scene. They took their statements and poked around a bit, cameras flashing brightly as they documented the scene. "Mr. Kaburagi?"
Kotetsu and Keith looked up as two detectives approached. One was a rough-looking man by the name of Lopez. Keith had seen him a few times in the shop. It seemed him and Kotetsu had a history, and neither one was fond of the other. "Lopez."
"I'm Detective Antonio Lopez and this rookie is my partner..." Antonio gestured to the handsome, blonde man beside him.
"Detective Goldsmith." Ryan said in cool introduction. He eyed Keith and Kotetsu analytically before flipping open his writing pad. "Neither of you appear to be injured... The suspects just waltzed in and out and no punches were thrown?"
"The Martinez Gang is dangerous." Kotetsu said simply. "My employee's life isn't worth the cost of new windows and liquor."
"That's true." Ryan agreed, rolling his shoulders. "But it's strange that the Martinez Gang agreed. They don't usually give a fuck. It seems peculiar. Makes me wonder, how much insurance do you have on this place?"
"Only liability." Kotetsu answered, his eyes burning with offense. "So, I'm just fucked."
"What business do you have with the Martinez Gang?" Antonio asked, edging back into the conversation. "Ya'll friends gone wrong?"
"F-f-f-friends?!" Kotetsu stammered incredulously.
"Witnesses say he's been hanging around lately." Antonio continued.
"Fuck me." Kotetsu cursed to himself.
"He's shaking down the entire neighborhood!" Keith exclaimed, shaking his head in disbelief. "His goons picked a fight at the noodle shop earlier tonight..."
"They know what he does." Kotetsu explained, eyeing Keith calmly. "They just can't do anything about it. It's easier to ask me stupid questions than to do their jobs."
Antonio's hand wrapped around the collar of Kotetsu's shirt and twisted, he lifted Kotetsu off the ground. He sneered in an ugly way, disappointed that Kotetsu showed no sign of distress. He lowered Kotetsu to the ground and he smoothed down his clothes as if he had no concern in the world.
"You piss me off, Kaburagi." Antonio spat.
"You do it to yourself." Kotetsu accused dryly. "I'm not doing anything."
"The fact you even exist..." Antonio challenged.
"Look," Ryan interrupted gruffly. "I don't know what's between the two of you and I don't fucking care. So shut up and answer my damn questions. My questions pertaining exclusively to this case..."
"Perfect." Kotetsu murmured, turning to face the young detective.
"How are you certain the suspects were the Martinez Gang?" Ryan asked.
"Well, because he walked in about three months ago and introduced himself as Jake Martinez..." Kotetsu explained. "And he's always got two or three henchman with him."
"And why did he approach you?" Ryan asked.
"Come on," Antonio muttered, slapping Ryan on the back loudly. "It's Martinez. It's always the same story. He goes into run down, shitty neighborhoods and starts pressuring the FOB's..."
"I'm not a FOB." Kotetsu barked.
"Why did Jake Martinez approach you?" Ryan repeated, ignoring Antonio's grunt of disapproval.
"He said he wanted to offer my bar protection." Kotetsu said. "For a pretty steep price."
"Protection from?" Ryan pressed.
"Fuck!" Kotetsu spat. "Himself? I don't know! I didn't have any problems before that guy showed up."
"He must not know about you..." Antonio said, chuckling to himself. "Does that embarrass you or make you happy?"
Kotetsu ignored him, but the comment spiked Keith's interest. Kotetsu bit down on his lip, crossing his arms over his chest. "Am I free to go? I need to get some plywood to cover the windows..."
"Are you going to pay him?" Ryan asked, his fierce, energetic eyes meeting Kotetsu's for the first time.
Kotetsu smiled, it was a sad and worn smile. "No."
"Here's my card," Ryan said, offering a neat business card to Kotetsu and Keith. "If you think of anything else pertaining to the case, give me a call. And if the suspects return, give me a call."
"Thanks." Keith sighed in relief. "I appreciate it."
Kotetsu crumbled the card in his fist, looking around at the glass-strewn sidewalk. "I've got places to be."
"Do you want me to come with you?" Keith asked.
"Go home, Goodman." Kotetsu groaned. "The hardware shops are already open. I'm going to board up the windows. No sense in coming to work tonight, we'll reopen tomorrow..."