~Winter at the Hawthorne House~

~

"What the actual mother faxing-"

Max didn't finish her sentence, leaving me curious. "What?" I leaned into the camera on my laptop.

"Oh nothing."

"Max."

"It's not important!" She laughed at my raised eyebrow of anticipation. "I pre-ordered tickets to go see a movie and I just got an email saying I just got the tickets refunded."

"Oh." I leaned back against the headboard of my bed. I had set my laptop to the side and pulled the covers over my chest and looked back at the camera, sniffling in the snot I could feel running down.

"How's that fever?" Max said, turning off her phone and setting it aside next to her.

"It's killing me." I turned my head away from the laptop, letting out a nice juicy cough, giving Max a nice side profile of my bear like hacking.

"Aren't you supposed to go to Hawaii with Jameson for a charity ball tomorrow?"

I continued to look up at the high ceiling. "We were invited and had planned on going, yes."

"So you need someone to go for you?" I could tell what Max was hinting.

I looked back at the grainy Max. "I was going to can-"

"Lemme go!"

"You think your parents would let you go?"

"I have a piece of muscle following me around, remember?"

"Right."

Oren advised that Max should still have a piece of hunk following her around and refused to hear me argue. I had talked to Max later on about it and she had warmed up to the idea of having a bodyguard and wasn't phased about it.

"I could bring Xander." Max had said, pulling me out of my trance of being a little irritated with Oren.

"That's up to him," I yawned.

"He could never say no to me."

"He says no to nothing."

"So can I go?"

"Max-"

"If you say no, I'm not coming to visit for New Year's."

I was too ragged from the day draining me and my body fighting the bug I caught. I sighed, turning into a rigid breath. "Fine."

Max smirked, ironically glitching and freezing in the smirk. Once the internet got its act together Max was back looking at her phone.

I yawned once again. "I'm heading out. I took NyQuil about an hour ago."

"Okay, night bench! Love ya!"

"Love you, Max."

I hung up, sat back up to put my laptop on my nightstand, and right before I laid back down there was a rap at the door.

"You can come on in." I called out, knowing that knock from anywhere.

"How are you feeling, Heiress?" Jameson said, walking over and sitting at the edge of the bed, giving me his crooked smile.

"Like I got shot again."

"That's better than getting ran over by a truck yesterday."

I let out a small chuckle and changed the subject. "Hey, I let Max go to the charity ball."