Chapter 33: Once Again Up a Mountain

"Are you sure this is right?" Julie asks, straining to lift the pack I had set out for her. "I swear mine is heavier than yours!"

I shoulder my pack, which was considerably lighter than hers. "No they're the same weight, you need to have endurance if you want to be a hunter Julie. Almost everything you'll face can run faster than you and for longer." I smirk as she continues to struggle with the backpack, "would you like some help?"

"N-no!" She strains, finally shouldering the pack. Her knees buckling under the weight. "I got this! Don't worry about me."

Shrugging I check my gear. I had my pistol concealed and a pocket knife tucked away, extra water in my pack, and a small first aid kit for any bumps and scrapes we might get. Julie should have extra water and a first aid kit as well. Along with about fifty pounds of added sandbags. As I watch her struggle I ponder the thought lessening the load, but I wasn't actually trying to train her as much as actually trying to dissuade her from continuing down this path. Whatever it takes to keep her out of the crosshairs.

"So are we going from here? Or driving to the trail?" Julie asks, taking a slow step. Testing out the backpack.

"I'm not cruel, we're driving there." I respond. Besides, we're gonna be trespassing on Silverlock 'territory' on the way there... I think to myself, not really enjoying the idea of passing through Reyna's neighborhood. I know that she must be aware that hunters are always in the area, but I also assume that there are lycans watching us back.

We pile the gear into my car and are quickly on the road. I swear I could hear a thunderclap over the engine noise, but without the flash of lightning I dismiss it as just road noise. If it turns to a thunderstorm we'll have to try again another day. But Julie had a million questions to keep me distracted from the weather.

"So what was your training like? Who trained you? What's the craziest thing you've hunted?" She rapid fires off question after question, barely giving me time to think of answers before the next one takes my attention.

"My training was rough, a man named Paul trained me. I was pulled into an exorcism a little while back by Paul, probably the most unique hunt I've been on. And one of the more terrifying." I try my best to answer Julie's questions to the best of my ability.

As we begin to pass along the road bordering Reyna's neighborhood I slow down. I keep my eyes on the trees and quiet homes as I speak up to Julie, "Hey, so keep an eye out. We're passing close to where that werewolf pack has been hanging out. Let me know if you see anything out there okay?"

Julie goes silent, shifting her gaze out the passenger window. "What should I be looking for?" She asks.

I pick the speed back up. Rhythmically tapping the steering wheel. "Any odd shapes in the shadows, movement, something that looks like what you saw last night." I try to rattle off a few descriptors. I don't expect Julie to see anything, but better safe than sorry. Plus it keeps her occupied so I don't have to keep answering her questions.

"Okay," She says. "I'll keep my eyes open."

We arrive at the trailhead a few short minutes later with no issues. Julie hadn't seen anything which at least put her at ease. Optimism keeping her from being more jaded about not seeing anything. Shouldering my pack I end up helping Julie with hers. Again she insists I'm carrying a lighter pack, which I assure her we are carrying the same weight.

"Okay!" I say with a clap of my hands, "Consider this your first of many conditioning tests. Like I had said earlier: This is to help evaluate and strengthen your endurance. Hunters are always at a distinct disadvantage out in the field, so we need to even that playing field in anyway we can." I begin my briefing, trying not to sound as preachy as I felt. Julie shifts her backpack awkwardly, nodding along to everything I say. "Our goal is to reach the top of the trail without having to stop. Shall we begin?"

Huntजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें