nothing but the truth

Vincent was beside the door when Scott arrived home that night, the door making no noise when he opened and closed it.

"Hey," Scott muttered with a subtle wave, only glancing in Vincent's direction before he started toward the bedroom.

Vincent stopped him with a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Where were you?"

Scott turned around, though he couldn't quite meet Vincent's eyes.

"I was at the carnival-"

"The carnival's been closed for three hours." Vincent took a step forward, taking Scott's hands. "Michael said that you went with him, but you just wandered off and he couldn't find you. I wanted to-" Vincent stopped, deciding there was no use in guilting Scott even further. "I was worried about you."

Scott looked up, meeting Vincent's eyes only to find that what he had feared was true.

Vincent was being completely honest, and Scott was just beating around the bush. After all, he wasn't sure if he could even bring himself to confess what had happened that night.

"I'm sorry that I worried you." Scott's eyes flickered to Vincent's lips. "Who did you end up going with?"

Vincent's gaze also shifted after that, his eyes on his and Scott's hands. "A friend."

"A friend?"

"An old friend. I thought it would be nice to catch up with her." Vincent squeezed Scott's hands for a moment. "If we had run into each other, I was going to introduce you."

"Was she the same woman I saw last night?" Scott muttered so quietly it was nearly a whisper, as if he truly didn't want to ask, even though he couldn't live without the answer.

"Look, I'm so sorry, I meant to tell you earlier, but you always work so late-" Vincent sighed as he felt Scott's hands pull away from his own.

Scott crossed his arms, still needing something to hold onto.

"I want to know why you're cheating on me, Vince." Scott took a step back. "I want to know why you're avoiding me, why you're only talking to me now because you thought I was missing."

"I'm not cheating on you-"

"You are!" Scott raised his voice, letting his arms fall to his sides. "She's been coming to our apartment for weeks now, and you expect me to think that you're just hanging out at midnight every night?"

"Her son was one of the kids who went missing!"

Scott bit his tongue as soon as the words had left Vincent's lips, standing as still as a statue.

Vincent continued, "I met her a while ago. She used to be a regular at the restaurant, but then her son disappeared. I-" Vincent took a step toward Scott. "I just wanted to help her through her grief, maybe even find some justice for what happened. I know who kidnapped those kids."

Scott felt the warmth drain from his skin, slowly taking a step back.

Perhaps, Vincent hadn't cheated at all. He really was just helping a grieving mother get back on her feet, and truly didn't know how to tell Scott about what he was doing.

Vincent was helping people, and Scott turned around and slept with the owner of the business that had ruined their lives.

Even so, there was still an elephant in the room that had to be addressed.

"Vince, if you kidnapped those kids, you know you can tell me." Scott looked at Vincent's face for a sign of his reaction, knowing that Vincent could have had murderous intent, just as William said. "I don't know if I can forgive you, but I'd still rather know the truth."