More?

Many people want more to their lives, whether that means a new job, a vacation, a relationship, kids, or just to try something new, we always want more. I thought I wanted more, but I believe I bit off more than I could chew.

I woke up to the beeping of my alarm clock, like always. I yawned and began my daily routine. Shower, get dressed, brush teeth, brush hair, think about eating breakfast, check my messages, decide not to eat, and go to school. I was so used to doing the same thing everyday that when things went wrong I often didn’t notice. Every moment of my day was planned out, even when life hit me with the unexpected I still followed a routine. The only thing in my life that was different was school, but I was so numb to it that the days ran together and I spent most of the day absentmindedly doing tasks. “Nico!” A voice yelled next to me. “Yes, Alex?” I said, not taking my mind off my work. “I’ve been trying to get your attention for like 5 minutes,” They said. They reached over and shut my computer, forcing me out of my dazed state. “Thanks,” I said, flexing my fingers and turning to look at them. “I asked if you wanted to hang out this weekend, my mom is out of town and wants me to have company,” They said. “Aka your mom wants me to babysit you because I’m responsible?” I asked sarcastically. They nodded, “Hah, yeah, she wants me to stay away from the liquor cabinet.” Then the bell rang on schedual and we left. “I…” I started. “Nico? Are you okay?” They asked. When I didn’t answer they put a hand on my shoulder. “Hey…” They started. “Fuck!” I yelled as I collapsed onto the floor. “Nico!” They yelled, crouching next to me. I shut my eyes tight and put my hands on my head. I felt two hands on my shoulders and I screamed and pushed myself against the nearest wall. “Nico… Listen to me,” They said. “Its Alex, please just listen,” They said as a group formed around us. “Go away,” I heard Alex say to the group. When I didn’t feel them leave I heard a smack and I flinched. “Get out of here!” Alex said firmly. I could hear the scuffling of feet as they left us. “Nico… I’m sorry. I- I didn’t mean to,” They whispered. “I was going to wait until you came over to tell you something, do you want to hear it?” They asked, still whispering. I didn’t respond for a moment and slowly opened my eyes. “I know of a place, its a place where you can be free from people. I haven’t been there myself yet, but I want you to come with me and if you don’t like it, we can immediately come back. So, do you wanna come on an adventure with me?” They asked, extending a hand to me. I slowly took their hand and they pulled me up. “There we go. Do you feel like walking?” They asked. I tried to take a step but my knees buckled. “Hey, It’s okay, I got you,” They said as they put my arm over them and held me up. “I gotta go to the office and sign myself out,” I said. “Can you drive?” They asked. I shook my head and smiled. “Guess you have to come with me,” I said. They smiled and we made way to the office.