Chapter2

Thunderclan

Honestar's POV

I sat dozing on the large rock that I make clan announcements on. It's a bright 'n sunny day today and I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. After all, leafbare is just around the corner. I was neatly laying on the rock when I sensed another cat padding towards me. Lazily opening one eye, I noticed it was my medicine cat Willowleap.

"Honeystar, I need to collect some herbs before leafbare comes, I especially need catmint. May I go please?" Willowleap has always been a neat and polite she-cat, never snapping at any cat unless they were doing something truly wrong. Blinking both my eyes open, I nodded my head while saying, "You may go as long as you take a warrior with you, we can't risk you encountering that old fox by yourself. Why don't you take Cloudpuff with you? He doesn't appear to be busy."

Nodding her head, she walked over to Cloudpuff. They were too far away for me to hear their conversation, and I had no intention to hear it anyways. The last thing I saw before reclosing my eyes was Willowleap and Cloudpuff walking out of camp.

Willowleap POV

As we headed towards the part of our territory where catmint grows thickly, I tried to strike up a conversation. Things had been awkwardly silent as we walked out of camp, and I couldn't take the silence. "So, how was your earlier patrol?" I asked Cloudpuff. Looking at him, it seems like he's relieved I was the one to start talking. I guess he couldn't take the silence either. "Well, it went quite well actually. I caught a mouse and a thrush!" He replied happily, clearly proud of himself. It wasn't too long ago that he was still known as Cloudpaw. I was about to respond when I noticed that we'd reached our destination.

Nodding to him, I walked over to all small cluster of the plant that was currently growing the thickest and began plucking them out of the ground. Suddenly hearing a rustling in the leaves above me, I thought nothing of it. I guess Cloudpuff's just trying to catch more prey for the clan. "Are you trying to catch more prey?" I asked him, while still collecting catmint. I stopped when I heard his voice directly behind me. "No. Did you hear that to?" He asked me, sounding more confused than I felt. 

I carefully set the catmint down, while peering through the leaves and branches above me. I was about to turn back to what I was doing, when I jumped back, seeing a pair of gleaming yellow eyes staring straight into my terrified blue ones. Looking over at Cloudpuff, it was clear he had seen them too, because he was beginning to let out a low hiss. "Come out you coward! Who are you!" He yowled at them. Then suddenly, as quick as they appeared, they were gone.

"We need to head back and report this to Honeystar." Cloudpuff said, seriousness in his tone. As we headed back to camp with the catmint, I started to wonder. 

Who did we see in that tree?