New Orders

When Sam arrived at work the next day, she attended quarters and was sent to the administrative office for paperwork. Standing in front of the admin guys, they handed over her paperwork with a smile.
"Congratulations, Commander," PS1 said happily. "You're going back to your old ship as the Executive Officer. And word has it, the Commanding Officer is leaving soon so you'll take over."
Sam sighed and stared at the papers and forced a smile. This was what she didn't want, but it beat moving across the country for some billet that would have made her life miserable. So, she took the papers after signing off of them, and went back to her office where she sat and did her paperwork. Her replacement was showing up in a week before she left the next month.

  The packet that held her new orders sat menacingly by her computer, taunting her with a certain degree of uncertainty.  But what other billet was there that was open and would work in her favor?  The more she thought about it and let it consume her, the more she realized this was her journey forward.  But her gut was turning, and she was nauseous beyond nauseous.  More so than the mission she and Bradley almost got lost on.  That was pure adrenaline, and though she had been in the Navy for almost eighteen years, this shouldn't be coming across as straight anxiety.  But she inhaled deeply before standing up and deciding to leave for the day.  It was Friday, and coming onto lunch, she said fuck it and grabbed her things.
  After logging out and packing up for the weekend, she decided to head by checking out with the rest of the squadron.  Luckily, their offices were connected to hers, so when she walked out of hers, they were all there.  She excused herself for the day and told them they were good to go for the day.  But what she didn't account for was her getting home.
  Sam had ridden her motorcycle to work, and though no rain or clouds showed themselves in San Diego that day, her nausea was too intense.  And it didn't help that she then realized she had to tell her family.  But why was this ruining her psyche?

  When Sam arrived home, she was greeted by just Bradley.  Her children weren't out of school for the day yet and wouldn't be for another couple of hours.  Bradley, who was folding clothes on the couch in the living room, immediately diverted his attention to his wife walking through the door.
  "Sammy!" He exclaimed with a big smile on his face, only to sour when he saw Sam's face.  She forced a smile, but she couldn't hide it from Bradley.  She never could.
  "Hi, Bradley," she forced out a genuine happiness to be home, but being overshadowed by her not wanting the orders she got.
  "You got a carrier, didn't you?" Bradley knew instantly.  Sammy nodded her head and inhaled deep and slowly let it out.
  "It's the best interest for my career, and it was inevitable," Sammy replied.  "I'll get over it."
  "You're worried about the deployments," Bradley piped up.
  "I am," Sam pursed her lips briefly. "I am, because I don't want to leave you or the kids behind.  I know you all will be okay, but I just can't seem to get this nagging feeling out of my stomach."
  "This is a big promotion for you.  One you need for Captain.  It's a lot of responsibility, but nothing you can't handle," Bradley reassured.  "And I know something that will cheer you up."
  "Pizza?" Sam asked, and Bradley nodded.
  "Pizza.  And I know the kids are going to be thrilled over that."
  "Promise me when I go out to sea that you will feed them a vegetable or two?  And some fruit?" Sam joked around.  Bradley grabbed her by the waist and twirled her around, kissing her quickly on the lips.
  "You know I'll take care of them.  And if I don't, your mom will," Bradley joked before kissing her again.  "You need to change and go get comfy."
  Sam agreed and pulled away from her husband to head towards their bedroom.  Bradley was not far behind with clothes in hand for her, smiling big.  He set down a set of comfy athletic clothes for her, patting them gently once placed on her bedside, before leaving the room to give her privacy.  Or some privacy because he was leaking through the door crack.
  "Bradley, you see me naked every day," Sam chuckled as she undressed and quickly redressed.
  "And a sunset is still beautiful every time you see it," Bradley defended before shutting the door fully and walked away.