In Season

Notes: Stayed up until 2 in a random burst of inspiration to type out the outline for this so it looks like you guys get the sequel to Scent Thing finally XD Heed the tags, tho, this one's getting wild lmao

It's absolutely wild how this thing fought me for so long and then 90% of it got typed up in like a week :') But this year has been utterly abysmal so writing was difficult in general. Things are looking up now tho and it's been much easier now that I got some of the stress off my shoulders.

We're also moving into production on the aoex fanzine Byakko Zine and I'm thrilled to finally start getting the merch and physical copies in so I can ship those out to ppl :D

Song of the Chapter: Arsonist's Lullaby by Hozier

Fingers swept over his nape, a shiver running through Rin's body when claws followed to trace the thrumming artery beating beneath the skin of his vulnerable throat.

At the stage he'd come to, it wasn't fear making him shiver.

"So, how long is this part going to last?" His question earned him a light hum from Mephisto and a tap of his claws.

He knew it was too soon to be asking, might as well have been saying another form of "are we there yet?" Never mind that getting a straight answer from Mephisto was as impossible as getting Amaimon to stop inhaling his food.

"Why don't we give it a week and see where you're at, hm?"

Rin blinked at what sounded like an actual answer from Mephisto.

"I hope it's just a week," he muttered, head tilting to the caress over his cheek. "I don't even want to know what Yukio is gonna do if I'm gone longer than that."

Actually, he didn't want to know what excuse Mephisto had given Yukio for his absence

"Try to sleep, Rin," Mephisto said, and Rin felt his eyes shutter as if beyond his control.

Gold eyes gleamed in the dark at his side, and, when he gave in, green filled his hazy vision overhead, Mephisto and Amaimon watching as he fell asleep.

In the space between, before Rin fully went under, a beat of energy went through his veins, and his skin felt too tight to contain him in it. He shuffled against the pillows until the feeling subsided and slept.

"Ah" Rin shouted, spatula in hand that he waved threateningly at the wide-eyed expression Amaimon shot him, beginning to eat faster despite the growl from Rin.

"Hey! That's not ready yet!" He reached for the bowl, a shriek of affront erupting when Amaimon bolted from the kitchen, stolen gains in hand as Rin spat flames.

Laughter took him from his fury and he snapped a glare at Mephisto. "That was your food, too. Why are you laughing?"

It was a rhetorical question, Rin knew.

"Ah, sorry, Rin," Mephisto wiped a tear from the corner of his eyes. "You'll have to be more watchful if you want to complete a meal. Or pick something quicker to make."

Rin grumbled, but gave up, knowing he'd have to accept the loss this round and be more prepared for the next.

At least he had more than enough packed in Mephisto's cabinets and fridge to make whatever he happened to want. In fact, it never seemed to run out, new things showing up to replace what he'd gone through the next day.

And yet, Rin tossed a side-eye at Mephisto, instant noodles were the go-to meal when he wasn't around to cook anything.

He managed to make something without more interference, though it wasn't as appetizing as it had been other times he'd made similar things, and Rin fought a frown that wanted to form.