PROLOGUE.

PROLOGUE

"C'mon, Millie! I know it'll be fun!" Ash Bowen rushes into the dorm. Their dorm.

Ah yes, Millie Andrews and Ash Bowen has been friends since grade school and couldn't be separated ever since. They were the underdogs throughout school, whether it be grade, middle or high. They were different and recruited every other student that claimed they were also different. Though the club was popular and with popularity came people who tried to destroy it.

Though the group – the club has disbanded, Ash and Millie has stayed together through it all. Though, Millie Andrew's love for supernatural and paranormal things have died down as she soon as she started college and tried focusing on more academic and proven things. But, Ash? Ash hasn't given up even in college.

"Millie! Come on, I won't bother you any more after this I promise!" whined and beckoned for her friend. Millie looks at her. Her eyes, well her eyes' bags have bags. She's been beat to the bone and swamped with so much paper work for her finals. "After this I won't bug you and we can take college more seriously." She keeps going.

Millie raises an eyebrow at her. Millie never usually had to say much to Ash, mostly because Ash could read her facial expressions. Then again, it was never really hard for Ash to convince Millie of anything and of doing anything with her, but... this time? Searching for... Wendigo? Skin walkers? This wasn't only preposterous but, far fetched. "We'd never find anything, Ash. They don't exist." Millie bickers.

"That's not true Millie!" Ash claims. "If you'd just come with me, I can show you, they're more than real!" she squeals in excitement.

Millie turns over and looks up at her; "And if they're real? Then what? You know what those things can do... You know what all the legends say." Millie growls turning back over, trying to ignore her incessant bickering.

"Millie please! We'll search for one hour max, and if we don't find anything we'll come back to the dorms, please!" Ash continues to beg. Millie's eyes lower and she turns her head back to look at her. "Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase," Ash begs even longer.

"Fine, fine! But I'm not getting dressed for this." She says unraveling herself from underneath the covers. Socked feet on the ground, blue pajama bottoms and tank-top. "Okay, maybe a jacket. It's damn cold." Millie sighs as she walks over to the coat hanger.

"I've got a lighter and hairspray, Millie. We should be good!"

"Lighter and hairspray..." She thinks. "Why do you need to make a fire?"

"Because, if we ever do run into these creatures, we can burn them... Fire kills."

"For something that probably doesn't exist you sure do know a lot about them."

"For something that probably doesn't exist, there sure are multiple ways to kill them, isn't there?"

"Just come on, I'll drive."

Millie pushes her out of the dorm and she turns to lock the door. Ash looks down, "Slippers? We're going in the forest... where they roam, Millie."

"I told you, I wasn't getting dressed." Millie sighs.

Walking down the hallway, Ash can't help but feel herself get overjoyed over the fact they're going to go search for proof of the existence of skin walkers. "You're crazy, you know that Ash?" Millie asks her as they get to the end of the hall.

"Where are you two going?" a security guard, Thomas asks. Ash turns around and sees him, his eyes blue, his skin olive, and his height? Well, he's pretty big. Thomas is just no regular security guard, he's actually cool. At least that's what Ash wrote down about him in her notebook.

"Oh hey Thomas."

"Hi." Thomas replies.

Crossing his arms tightly over his chest, he looks to the two women. One who looks tired and aggravated and the other? Well, eyes so big with a smile so wide. Joy in her face... "As I asked, where are you two going?" he asks again. The two girls look at each other and then back to him.

"Fresh air?" Ash asks trying to sound convincing. Thomas looks Ash up and down and begins to think. His eyes grow wide as he remembers.

"Aren't you two who ran that club in high school? The Paranormal club?" he asks.

"And you are?" Millie asks.

Millie, who was once tired, begins to snap into defense mode. "Calm down, Millie. I was one of the recruiters, you know who wanted to join the club?" He asks. Ash sighs. Millie sighs and crosses her arms.

"We have no time for small banter. Are you going to let us pass or not?" Ash growls.

"We'll discuss more later. Enjoy the night's fresh air. Even though you aren't allowed to be out past twelve, but... I'll let it slide this one time." Thomas says putting his finger up to indicate one.

"We should be so grateful." Millie sighs sarcastically and exhaustively.

As they leave the hall and into the night's welcoming harsh breeze, they approach the line between forest and population. "You only get thirty minutes!" Yells Thomas. Millie smiles and turns her head towards Ash.

"You hear that? Thirty minutes." She says. She was dreading an hour, but half an hour doesn't seem so bad. Ash turns her head back to the forest, beginning to think about what she should do. Deep down? She was afraid – no, terrified. The forest always terrified her at night, and no, not because of the cliched fear of forests, no... She has memories... of a forest.

"Ash?" she hears a faint voice... the faint voice belongs to Millie and even though she's so close, she sounds so far away. "Ash!" Millie snaps at her. Ash snaps out of it and looks to Millie. "We don't have to do this you now, you ... you seem very terrified."

Ash sighs and looks down at her boots. "I won't let my fear of a forest get to me this time, Millie... We have to go." She sighs.

Without hesitation without a second thought, she grabs Millie's hand and runs with her deeply into the forest without looking back. She only had thirty minutes and she wasn't going to waste it debating on whether or not they should go...