Chapter 1

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Be-Click!

The boy groaned, his weary eyes still drooping slightly. He didn't want to get up, but he knows his parents will make a fuss if he didnt arise and go to his college classes. So, reluctantly he got out of bed and looked around his room.

It was simple, a desk to the left of his door. His dresser is a few feet away from the foot of his bed. Pictures of forests littered the wall and green curtains covered his blinds. His backpack sat next to his desk, with his books and homework spewed across the floor.

"I'll get that later..." He thought. He got up and went to his attached bathroom. Quickly, he brushed his teeth, got in the shower, then brushed his hair. His orange locks were slightly wild, a piece flying from the center of his head into a curl.

He had light brown eyes with black pupils. His eyebrows were small, forever tilted upwards. Brown freckles dotted his cheeks and nose, giving his face a more childlike look. He sighed, he hated it.

He walked out to his dresser and grabbed a white t-shirt and some underwear. He put those on before walking to his closet and grabbed jeans, his green sweater, and his magenta lace-up boots. He reached to the top of his closet with difficulty and grabbed a flower clip from his mother. He smiled and put it in his hair behind his ear and near the top of his head.

It was February 22nd, he was still rather salty at his lack of Valentines cards, but honestly, who would love him? He came down the stairs and saw his mother and little sister in the kitchen.

"Mom, you know you can't cook. What are you doing?" He asked, coming to her left side. His mother had the same orange hair as his, but it was longer, and hugged her face adorned with a yellow flower. Her face was round with the same freckles he had. Her eyes were a very light blue with white pupils.

She wore a yellow turtleneck sweater with a dark green skirt. White knee-high socks with grey boots and a pearl necklace finished her look. "Ah, Maxy sweetie! Good morning! And no, I'm not trying to cook, I just finished doing the dishes." Her voice was sweet and soft, perfect for a lullaby.

"That blind woman can't do shit!" A high-pitched voice laughed. Max whipped his head around and saw his little sister laughing and pointing at his poor mother.

"Delilah! You know you can't use that type of language in the house! And anyway you're only 13!" Max yelled back, pointing at his little sister. She wore a smug smile in her hot pink tank top and a darker pink skirt. Her blonde hair was in pigtails, held up by pink bows.

"Maxwell. Why are you yelling at my baby girl?" His voice was deep, commanding and it scared Max. He turned around and saw his father, he wore a grey suit with a black tie. His piercing chestnut eyes looked down at the cowering boy. His hair was the same shade of blonde that Delilah had. Blonde hair, brown eyes, a rare combination.

"Dad... Dad, she started using disrespectful words at mom!" Max said his voice breaking. Begging his father to believe him.

His father glared at his son; he was scared when he got like this. His long nose turned upward; disdain written all over his features. He rolled his eyes and went into the kitchen, stopping in front of the coffee machine. "Maxwell, make eggs for your mother and sister."

Max nodded his head and got to work. He was used to this, when he was younger his dad always had to cook meals, but he had enough of cooking in the morning, so when Max started high school, his father taught him how to make meals. He made scrambled eggs for Delilah and a fried egg with toast for his mom.

He grabbed the plates and headed for the table, placing them in front of the owners. He kissed his mother on the cheek as he placed her plate in front of her, "Happy 43rd Birthday Mommy. I'll get a cake for you when I get home!"