Chapter 3

The news across Alaska broadcasted the death of Frank Palmer, another corrupt cop that killed an innocent man. David huffed, he liked how the police station ran. David knew Frank made the right call killing the man, innocent or not. Who knew what wouldve happened if Frank didnt shoot? But now theyre playing down his death by listing all the wrongdoings he has done as an officer of the law and before that. David hated the media.

Max came downstairs hugging himself rather tightly. He wore an oversized sweater and his flower was not in his hair. He tried to look as small as possible walking past his father, but he couldnt stop the loud footsteps he made whenever he limped. Max didnt catch the worried look Delilah shot at him, or the way she tried to talk to him. She sighed and went back to her cereal.

Max quickly put on his winter coat and went out the door. His phone buzzed in his pocket; he swiftly took it out. On his notification bar was a message from Vincent, thats right. Vincent forced his number into his phone, reasoning that he needed to make sure Max's friend didnt try anything. He asked if Max was ready to go, Max quickly replied yeah and sat on the curb.

Ten minutes later, the Chevy came up around the corner with a girl in the passenger seat. She opened the door and opened the door for the back seat. She had brown skin; long black hair was braided loosely curling around her shoulder. She was wearing a purple crop top with the sleeves detached from the shirt, and a dark purplish-blue skirt that was hanging off her hips at an angle. She had a cross earring and a light purple beanie. What looked like a black body suit hugged her bare skin, protecting her from the harsh weather.

Vincent got out of the driver's seat and made his way to Max. He again picked him up and threw him in the backseat, much to the woman's delight. As she chuckled, Max glared at her; buckling his seat belt. Vincent got back in the driver's seat and turned to Max. "Max, this is my friend Eleanor Sullivan. Ellie, this is Max."

"Wow. I thought Max would be brawnier than this!" Eleanor laughed, lightly pinching Max's bicep. Max glared at her to the best of his ability, the bruises he so desperately tried to hide were still hurting. Eleanor laughed and turned back around, but Vincent stared at Max, his eyes roaming his body. When he finally turned around Max could feel weight falling from his tired shoulders.

"So, Vincent." Max started, crossing his arms, and switching his gaze from Vincent to Eleanor. Vincent started the truck and pulled out on the road. "Who is Ellie to you?" He didn't miss the way Eleanor glared at him.

"First off, she only allows her friends to call her Ellie. Secondly, she's my best friend." Vincent replied, smiling at Eleanor, and resting a hand on her shoulder effectually calming her down. "We met a while back and hit it off the playground."

"Vincent, its hit it out of the park, not that." Eleanor giggled, lightly hitting Vincent's shoulder.

"Ah, sorry. I'm not that good at idioms yet." Vincent laughed, running a hand through his hair. Vincent stole another glance at Max to see him hugging himself, scared of the world. "Ellie, cмотреть." Vincent threw his thumb over his shoulder, pointing it at Max, Eleanor followed his thumb, confusion etched on her face. "Вы видите синяки, которые он пытается скрыть?"

"О, черт, да! Он плохо это скрывает, не так ли?" Ellie said turning back to Vincent, missing the look Max gave them. "Как вы думаете, откуда он их взял?"

"Я не знаю. Но мы должны следить за ним." Vincent said, sneaking glances at the orange-haired boy in his backseat. He saw the orange-haired man glance at him, tilting his head to the side like a puppy. Vincent's mouth turned slightly upwards at the action, finding the action adorable.