NINE

✾

                                                                                            ✾ ≛ ✾

"With all due respect, I would rather not, miss..." Rhaella sputtered.

The older woman of the two looked sharply at her daughter and mumbled, "Dorothy, run the bath, I shall handle the princess."

One last time, Rhaella shrieked before Cecilia drug the young princess towards the bathroom on the opposite end of the bedroom. In the bathroom, the tub reflected a beautiful yet disheveled young girl with matted hair. "Goodness! I do need a good scrub...."

"Allow me, your majesty." The young servant asserted.

She sighed, allowing the servants to remove her dingy clothes and place her in the tub filled with scalding hot water. Though steam bubbled through the surface, as the water sizzled the maids to the touch, none of it affected Rhaella, not in the slightest.

After quite a while of scrubbing the dirt and grime from the young princess, Cecilia combed out Rhaella's newly revived hair-now smooth and silky. With a cloth, the maids began drying the girl off, including her somewhat drenched hair.

Sitting at the vanity with Dorothy and Cecilia, Rhaella scowled as she looked at her reflection-a woman she hadn't recognized. The person staring back was a stranger, a shadow of herself.

"Ouch," Rhaella murmured, rubbing at her scalp. "That hurt."

The woman smiled, "I apologize, your majesty. Unfortunately, I haven't much of choice. Your hair is a bit stubborn," Cecilia remarked while braiding the girl's hair into an updo and wrapping it around a green tiara.

Behind the older maid, a beautiful emerald green dress with a v-line neck, puffy green sleeves, and curvy bodice laid onto the mattress, glistening as one of the room lanterns shined upon the gown. Rhaella's eyes lit up at the sight of the dress. It was quite beautiful. As was the tiara. It almost felt surreal, as if she hadn't deserved such luxury.

Once Cecilia finished the young princess's hair, she directed her daughter to apply her face makeup. "We want a simple, blush look, child. Perhaps use strawberries for the lips and a rose hue for the face?"

"Understood, mother," Dorothy replied. She grabbed the strawberries from a bowl placed on the vanity and squished them. With a swipe, she used the juice to accentuate her plump lips, making them a soft, kissable pink. Beside the bowl of strawberries, a cup filled with flour with a slight tint of the cocoa bean. "Now, the face!" she motioned with excitement.

"Wonderful," Rhaella remarked sarcastically.

Applying the powder to the young princess, the flour immediately covered the slight imperfections of the girl's gentle face. Dorothy applied a bit of blush to Rhaella's face using red root. "All done!" she beamed, "beautiful...."