Love Hurts

Maia, the Millennium Falcon

Tears rolled down my face when his body plopped to the ground. I whipped around to face Kuruk, an inch away from losing my shit.

"You," I growled in a barely controlled rage, "are loyal to him," I gestured roughly toward his limp body, "over me!"

He tried to respond but I squeezed his throat shut, anger coursing through me like a storm.

He shook his head against my grasp, and I realized tears were still rolling down my face.

"Maia, let him go," Luke said in a calm, detached way. A cry left my throat, and I released him, my mental anguish overpowering my fury.

"That's not totally true, my lady."

"What do you mean?" I asked, only partially facing him as I tried to reel myself in.

"He had us take a new oath before he became Supreme Leader. I am to protect you from anything—including him."

"Us?" I asked weakly, feeling my heart snap further. That's why Kuruk was always near.

"We are all yours to serve, Maia."

He'd never said my name before, not to me. "And if I want you to protect him instead?" It felt like my rage was pouring out of me, but I wanted to hold on to it. I tried to grip it, but it slipped through my fingers.

"We do, Miss Ren. But we have explicit orders to interfere between the two of you if he presents a threat to you."

I thought I'd be sick. "I am no Ren," I muttered. I couldn't wrap my head around why he said those things tonight and was only growing more confused.

"Only he gets to make that decision."

I didn't want to cry in front of one of his Knights, but it was coming.

A sound left my throat, and it was like a door opened, letting it out.

"He hates me," I finally cried. I felt the shame and despair coursing through me as my head dropped just before I fell to my knees.

Footsteps rang out on the cold metal floor, and then Han bent down next to me.

"Hey, Maia, it's alright," he said quietly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"It's not alright. He made a fool of us both—and in front of that skank. He humiliated me. He..." a small cry left my throat. "He only did this because he can't handle being with me; I make his life harder," I added barely above a whisper. His words seemed to echo in my mind, tearing me apart.

"That's not true," he said, right before he pulled me into a hug. I reigned myself in as much as I could, but I was still feeling vulnerable, a few tears escaping on their own.

After a minute I pulled back. "Thank you," I mumbled. The previous days were beginning to take a toll on me, I knew.

"Sure, kid." He hesitated a moment, and I grew nervous.

"Maia, how old do you think Lola is?" My lips turned down further into a frown. I didn't particularly wish to learn anything about her—something that was an unusual feeling for me.

"Are you kidding me? I don't care."

"How old?"

"Han."

"Come on, kid. Humor me."

"I don't know. 34? 35?"

When he shook his head with a faint smile, I frowned. "Lola is in her early sixties."