Chapter Nine: Fire and Shadow

TW: Attempted murder, manipulation, talking about murder, TOP HATS-

    Frost watched Jerome leave the house, the man's footsteps echoing as he walked through the door and shut it behind him.

     He turned and stared at the object Jerome had left for a moment. Then, calm as could be, Frost went to find Henwy. As he walked, he observed the walls of Henwy's cottage.

     Frost was looking for one thing in particular. Something that could convince him Henwy was truly the one he needed.

     His eyes locked on a banner on the wall. It was pitch black with a blood-red M sewn into the center.

     Frost allowed himself a small smile and turned the corner to find Henwy in the kitchen.

     "Hey, Frost," he said, nodding a greeting.

      Frost nodded back, then paused. "So uh, how much do you like this house?"

     "...Pretty well. Why?"

     "Oh, well it's not going to be here much longer."

     "What? Why?"

     "Jerome."

     Henwy blinked. "Well sure, he's a traitor. That was pretty obvio-"

     "He put a bomb in your house."

     "He what?!"

     Frost didn't bother replying. He snapped his arm up and energy pulsed around his fingertips. The energy stretched and flew from his hand, building up around the pair with incredible speed.

     As soon as the shield was complete, Frost's ears were assaulted by a cacophony of sounds.

     Henwy flinched back and squeezed his eyes shut.

     Heat washed over both of them, but it was muted. The world seemed to shake and rumble like it was about to end.

     The world flung itself over- then froze.

     The heat vanished and, curiosity clearly taking a hold of him, Henwy slowly opened his eyes. Frost watched his reaction carefully.

     Fire raged around them in large clumps, eating away at the pitiful remains of Henwy's house.

     Smoke and ash reigned supreme as the sun was blotted out. Darkness swept over the earth.

     Henwy's eyes were stretched wide. As he drank in the scene before him, though, they narrowed.

     He glared at Frost with dangerous eyes, but the hostility wasn't directed towards the sorcerer. "How dare he. How. Dare. He."

     Frost chuckled, completely unperturbed. It was as if bombs exploding was a natural occurrence for him. He let the shield drop and braced himself for a pungent odor of smoke.

     He stopped when he noticed the sparks flying from Henwy's fingertips. The man started pacing around the remnants of his home, snarling at the ground with threats and warnings. He didn't appear to have noticed the magic.

     Frost let him work himself up. Truth be told, this kind of reaction was exactly what Frost was looking for.

     The sparks turned into embers that danced along invisible strokes of wind.

     Energy was building up around Henwy's hands, bright and energized.

     "-and if he thinks he can get away with this, I'll show him just what it means to try and kill me. I've left him alone. I know what I did, but the past is in the- ...what's this?" Henwy broke off from his speech and stared down at his palms.