02: Silverchord (1)

❝ Silverchord ❞

e p i s o d e : 02 (part 1)

"Well, this is impressive. I did not expect you would write an A4 long letter to your other self considering that this is a sudden homework," Sapphire forced a smile while scratching the back of her ears. She spent an hour working on her assignment only to end up with the most formal and insincere letter she could write.

"I wonder how many crumpled paper you had," she was caught by a surprise. Hindi niya alam kung may kakayahan ba ang guro sa harap na manghula o sadyang normal lang na maka-ilang ulit sa pagsulat ng letra para sa sarili.

"Doesn't matter, what matters is the most sincere letter you have written." Sapphire tilted her head in confusion, not sure if she's following. But before she could say anything, she was instructed to go back to her class.

As usual, she could not help but doze off during class. Gayong wala siyang trabaho kahapon ay tila ba parte na ng sistema niya na antukin sa tuwing nagkaklase. It could be her body, it could be the lesson, or it could be the way the teacher in front speaks.

Pero kumpara dati, 'di hamak na mas inaantok siya ngayon.

"Reaction formation is about repressing undesirable characteristics and presenting oneself as opposite of what they really are. this is to hide that side of us that is not very pleasant."

Sapphire could feel herself dozing off. Eyes getting heavy and hearing getting muffled as if she's underwater. Suddenly, she started hearing an the ticking of the clock. She tried to navigate where it's coming from which lead her to the wall clock hanging on top of the white board in front f the class.

"Can someone give me an example of reaction formation? How about Miss Sapphire?"

The sound got louder and louder and her eyes could only see the moving hand of the clock.

"Miss Sapphire?" She could hear her teacher well but still muffled, drowned by the sound of the ticking clock.

"Miss Sapphire!"

Then it landed its long hand.

11:11.

"Miss Jade!" She gasped for air as if resurrected from the dead. Nakaramdam siya ng pananakit ng ulo kaya naman agad siyang napasapo rito. She could hear a tinkling sound which lasted for seconds then—nothing.

Para bang bumalik ang diwa niya sa sarili. She looked around only to see unfamiliar faces looking at her in confusion.

"I'm not sure if your previous school allows student to just space out but I definitely don't tolerate it in my class." Matigas na sabi ng may katandaang babaeng guro sa harapan.

Hindi nagawang sumagot ni Sapphire dahil sa kalituhan. Hindi niya kilala ang guro sa harap. Hindi rin pamilyar sa kaniya ang mga sulat na nasa black board.

"Okay ka lang ba?" Tiningnan niya ang katabing nagsalita. Isang lalaking may maliit na taling sa ilalim ng mata, may kahabaan ang buhok, at matang mukhang pala-kaibigan sa lahat. She then looked at his nameplate pinned on the left side of his coat uniform.

Lauren. Wala siyang kaklaseng Lauren. Wala rin silang nameplate at coat. 

Nakaramdam siya ng panlalamig sa parteng hita kaya tiningnan niya ito at laking gulat na nakasupt siya ng skirt at high sock.

"Huh?" May pagtataka niyang tanong sa sarili.

"All you have is to say 'Present' Miss Jade. What so hard about that?"

"A-ako po ba ang kausap niyo?" tanong niya habang nakaturo sa sarili.

"Sino pa ba ang may pangalang Jade dito sa classroom na ito?"

"Hindi po ako." Narinig ang mahinang tawanan sa loob ng klase. Bakas naman sa mukha ng guro na maikli lang ang pasensya niya.

"Are you playing with me, Miss Jade?" Umiling-iling si Sapphire, naguguluhan pa rin sa nangyayari.

"Hindi po Jade ang pangalan ko. H-hindi ko rin po kayo kilala at lalong hindi ko alam kung bakit ako nandito."

"The second one makes sense," sabi ni Lauren.

"Hindi mo talaga kami kilala dahil transferee ka lang." That did not come off offensive, it's as if he's trying to clear Sapphire's mind but it did not work.

"Anong transferee? Matagal na akong estudyante dito sa Westview High School." The whole class became more confused than she is and only Lauren cared to correct that.

"This is not Westview High School. This is Silverchord."

*** to be continued ***