Together

Marinette lifted her head from her hands as the screams grew louder. Adrien had already slipped away. And the rest of Paris needed her, too, even if she didn't feel like she could do much as Lady Noire.

After Alya disappeared around the corner, Marinette peeled away from the crowd into an abandoned hall.

"Plagg, claws out."

Lady Noire turned out of the hall, running head first into Mister Bug. Lady Noire's feet slipped out from under her but suddenly she did a back flip and landed on her feet while Mister Bug landed flat on his butt.

Lady Noire jogged over and offered him a hand. "You okay?"

"I've been better." He brushed her off and stood. Mister Bug glanced over the upstairs railing at Chloe. "Golden Sun is back, and before you say anything, I know this is my fault, but we'll get it fixed." When Lady Noire didn't answer, he looked back over his shoulder at her. "Aren't you going to agree?"

"It's not really important right now." She but her lip nervously. "Mister Bug?"

Mister Bug seemed too distracted to listen. "Her powers don't seem any stronger than last time. So I guess we just need a mirror to enthrall her with her own beauty again."

"That's not how the lucky charm works."

"I know how my powers work."

"Then act like it," she snapped. Mister Bug had officially worn her patience thin. Lady Noire facepalmed. "I'm sorry, Mister Bug. I think we should talk."

"Well, like you said earlier, this isn't really the time," Mister Bug said coldly.

Though he was looking at her, Lady Noire felt like he was looking right through her.

"We need a mirror." He brushed past her. "Do you or Alya have one in your bag?"

"Alya usually carries a compact."

Mister Bug walked into their classroom and started rifling through Alya's bag. Finally, he retrieved a compact, which he opened. After inspecting it, he decided it was good enough, he headed back out into the hall.

Lady Noire could only watch, emotions clogging her throat.

I've really made a mess of things. She wanted to cry, but now there was no Tikki to comfort her. Lady Noire swallowed the sob in her throat.

She followed Mister Bug back to the courtyard to catch Golden Sun before she left the school.

Mister Bug and Lady Noire swung down to the courtyard where she waited.

"This is the last time anyone overlooks me!" she cackled.

As they approached, Chloe's golden skin shined brighter.

Mister Bug held up the compact to reflect her glow back to her but suddenly they were engulfed by the ray.

"Close your eyes!" Lady Noire shouted. The seconds that ticked by were excruciating, especially because Lady Noire couldn't see if Mister Bug was okay.

"Mister Bug?"

"I'm fine," he answered, bringing her instant relief.

"We need another plan."

They couldn't stand there defenseless all day.

"How close are you?"

"I think I was about four feet to your left," she said.

She heard Mister Bug's feet shuffle across the floor. His hand wrapped around her waist. A blush crept into her cheeks as he used the yo-yo to swing away from Golden Sun.

Once they were in the air, Lady Noire opened her eyes. "Over there!" She pointed to her rooftop balcony.

They dropped onto the balcony above Marinette's bedroom.

"Lucky Charm!"

A pair of sunglasses dropped into Mister Bug's hands.

"That's what you said we needed last time," Lady Noire murmured.

He examined the glasses before glancing back at the school. "She's stronger than last time."

"Well, we can use the glasses to block her rays, but why only one pair?" Lady Noire wracked her brain for an idea.

"I know what to do."

Lady Noire opened her mouth to argue, but stopped herself. "Okay. What's the plan?"

Mister Bug glanced at her. "You trust me?"

"Always."