01|Sophie

A/N- I'm going to try to limit the authors notes, so.. yeah. But, when it's Italic, it's either a text message, a dream, a phone call, or a night terror. Thanks. Enjoy...
Btw - Grady and Edaline are Sophie biological parents.

———————————————————-

     "I'm so sorry Sophie" the doctor said while I stared at the wall covered with posters about health, and hygiene.

"I- I.."

"You're lucky we caught it this early. It could've been a lot worse if we caught it further down the road." He continued. I felt so.. helpless. What did I do wrong? Why did I deserve cancer? A single tear slipped down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away.

Sophie, Foster... doesn't cry. Crying doesn't fix anything. It's just water that comes out of your eyes, and makes you temporarily blind.

"Um.." I muttered.

"When can I go home?" I missed my bed, and my comfy gray sheets, and Iggy..

"You can go home whenever James arrives." I tensed up at the mention of his name. I was exhausted. Hopefully I could at least get a decent nap in before I had to deal with all of his yelling. A clatter of a pill bottle with a few pills dragged me out of my thoughts and almost gave me a heart attack.

I mean.. there is no better place to have a heart attack than a hospital.

"I'm sorry Sophie. I'm just gathering some pills, and a few medicines to bring to your schools healing center." The doctor, Elwin, said with an apologetic look in his eyes. It wasn't his fault I had cancer. He didn't need to have an apologetic look in his eyes, or an empathetic look in his eyes either.

Just then, my phone went off beside me. Well, not really beside me. It was on the little table by the hospital bed. I reached for my phone, and opened messages. It was Dex. Oh wow.. this was gonna be good.

————————————————————

Dex: Hey.. I heard you went to the hospital? I'm sorry if you're sleeping or something. You don't really have to read my message. But, I just wanted to know if you were okay. I don't need to know what happened.. YET. I do want to know what happened. But only if it okay with you..? I guess.. Idk what I'm doing right now. Pls text me back as soon as possible.

Soph: Sorry for not texting back ASAP.. ha.. I'm sorry you worried about me. I'll tell you about it tonight. Maybe..? If not, I'll tell you tomorrow at school.

Dex: You're going to school tomorrow?

Soph: I probably don't have much choice.. James will make me.

Dex: Soph..
Dex: You can't keep letting James push you around. Just because he's your uncle, doesn't mean he gets to force you to go to school if you don't feel good.

Soph: James does..
Soph: I'm glad he's not your uncle. I do feel bad that he lost his brother..... grief changes people. James used to be fun, and cool.. BUT he decided to become a total asshole. So.. sucks for me! It was either him, you guys, or foster care. LITERALLY! And James reached out first I guess.

Dex: Well, I'm glad to see your sense of humor has returned. I'm gonna let you get some rest. Sorry you ended up in the hospital. Love you cuz.