𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧

Greyson

May 23rd, 1999

Today, Astraea got a phone call from her sister-in-law, Blaire. She began to experience contractions, and she was four centimeters dilated. Rea and I have booked a flight from Boston to Milan in an hour. We spent the whole morning packing out suitcases.

Astraea has been healing slowly after the miscarriage in January. She's had good and bad days. I've stuck by her side through it all. I'd never want her to feel alone for one moment. She was in the hospital for two weeks. She broke down in the shower once we got home for the first time. She hasn't taken a shower alone since the miscarriage. She still attended her classes, but she was never herself. Her smile has faded. Her outgoing spirit has disappeared. I don't blame her. She suffered. She went through a type of pain she didn't deserve.

I hope that this small break to Italy will help. Ever since we got the call from Blaire, she's been thrilled. Astraea and I are excited for Blaire and Roman. We're both still in shock that they're having a baby. It feels like yesterday Roman was a snarky teenager who'd sneak out his bedroom window to see his girlfriend of the week. Astraea and I would sit in her room and laugh. We never snitched on him. We made a list of all of his previous girlfriends. It was until he settled with Nora for a couple of years. We wanted Roman to find someone, but Nora was the wrong person for him. She treated everyone around her like shit. She and Astraea got into fights frequently. Occasionally Nora and I would get into physical arguments over her telling Rea to kill herself.

I was over Nora's bullshit once she entered Roman's life. Astraea's brother, Roman, has never been happier than he is now with Blaire. She keeps him on his feet. Astraea and I have offered to help them with the final touches in the nursery room. Rea has a sweet spot for interior design. She designed our whole apartment. I've grown to enjoy decorating. It was fun when Rea played music on the record player. Occasionally she'd start softly singing the lyrics.

I felt pulled out of my thoughts as Rea threw a pillow at me. I glanced at her. She had her hair tied in a low pony. She released a soft sigh and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. She rested her head on my shoulder and mumbled, "I'm so tired. I couldn't sleep last night." I rubbed my hands softly up her back. I responded, "Rea. You can sleep on the way to the airport and the plane. Rea, if I have to carry you. I will. You need your sleep, my love."

A smile glistened on her face. Blush heated across her cheeks, and she lifted her head from my shoulders and pressed her lips on mine. Rea caressed the side of my cheek and whispered, "The medication my doctor put me on for the migraines keeps me up late at night and deeply tired throughout the day." I cupped my hands around her face and reassured her, "You just started the medication. Give it time. Your body has to adjust to the change. Whatever you need is yours. Astraea if you want a massage, dimmed lights, a cliche romance movie, and hot chocolate. Then it's yours. If you desire a getaway trip, consider it done. I want to make you happy. I love you."

"I love you too. Once we get back from Milan, I might take you up on that massage offer."

I chuckle and place a soft kiss on her cheek. I released my arms from around her and intertwined our fingers. I pressed my lips on the back of her soft palm. I grabbed my suitcase, and she took hers. We left the apartment and took the elevator down to the garage. Once we got in the car, Astraea instantly fell asleep. She leaned her head on my shoulder. In a matter of minutes, I could hear her soft snores.

A smile grew across my face. It's the little things that Rea does that can effortlessly put a smile on my face. Her laugh. Her soft snores. Her beautiful eyes. Her soft lips and her voice soothe my nerves.

The drive to the airport was a twenty-minute ride. Once we got there, I glanced at Astraea passed out on my shoulder. She looked beyond peaceful. I lightly tapped her shoulder and pushed the hair out of her face. I whispered, "We're here, Rea. You can sleep on the plane, my love." She wiped her eyes and groaned. She shot her eyes at me. She muttered, "That was probably the best sleep I've gotten in weeks." I chuckled.