Prologue

"You can be a hero,"

The recent words echoed once more in Izuku's mind as he smiled. Nobody had ever told him that. Everyone he had ever met was determined to prove that he could never be a hero, well everyone except a precious few.

He stopped before the door to the apartment, making sure to wipe off the smirk on his face. He couldn't wait to start training with All Might the next morning, but he didn't want to give anything away to his mother either.

He slowly opened the door, "I'm home mom!" he announced.

"Oh, my poor baby!" Inko was almost weeping, "Are you hurt?" She checked him up.

"I'm fine mom," Izuku pulled himself away. He wasn't hurt from the sludge incident but Bakugou had pushed him with his explosions earlier, and he hadn't covered the burns up yet, "I think I'll just go and have a shower first. The sludge was disgusting,"

"Well, say hello to your cousin on the way,"

Izuku screeched to a holt, "What?" he asked slowly.

"Your cousin's here. So are your aunt and uncle," Inko notified, "They were going to be coming next week since they are shifting here but after they saw the sludge incident, they rushed over,"

"How come you didn't tell me?" Izuku asked.

"Well, it was meant to be a surprise," Inko excused, "You know your dad and I've been talking and we both agreed that you need company. Your uncle was going to move in next door since it's closer to his new office. A week earlier makes no difference,"

"Yeah..." Izuku said vaguely. It wasn't that he hated his cousin, in fact, he was his closest friend, except maybe Kacchan. The thought put a bad taste in his mouth. He still wanted to believe Katsuki was his friend but was he actually?

Nevertheless, this was a bad time for his cousin, Watanabe, to come. He knew that Watanabe, while maybe not as intelligent, was definitely smart and observant enough to figure out one or two of his secrets. Secrets that he had worked hard to protect from his mother. On the other hand, the Hattoris were the only people besides his mother who encouraged him and treated him properly.

"I thought it was you!" Watanabe suddenly appeared, "That was wonderful how you took care of the sludge!"

"It's a good thing All Might was there," Natsume, Inko's sister said, "What were you thinking going in like that? You could have been hurt," Izuku's aunt scolded him.

"Sorry, I just wanted to save Kacchan," Izuku replied, slightly embarrassed at having been scolded.

"Yeah mom, I'd do the same thing if Kaminari was in danger," Watanabe spoke.

"You'd do the same thing even if Kaminari wasn't in danger," Natsume replied shortly, "Anyway, let your cousin go and freshen up. He's had a tough day,"

Izuku gave a polite smile and headed off to the bathroom. Once he had entered, he sighed with relief. The shower gave him time to avoid Watanabe's eyes. He knew that there was no way Watanabe could figure out about All Might or One for All. But hiding Bakugou's bullying was easier said than done.

Izuku took as much time as he could in the shower, not in any rush to get out.

"Izuku dear, it's almost dinner time. What are you doing so long in the shower?" Inko called.

"Sorry mom, will be right out," Izuku apologized and hurried out... only to come face to face with Watanabe, "Everything alright?"

"Yup. The sludge was just hard to scrub off,"

Watanabe didn't seem too convinced but nodded regardless, "Well c'mon. The food looks delicious!" he exclaimed and ran off.

"Right a bit of a shaky start but Watanabe isn't too suspicious yet. He still thinks Kacchan protects me at school like I told him while messaging," Izuku noted.