iii | lina + jane

Lina's POV

Cathy and Jane had been perfectly together for ages. In fact, Jane had just bought her and Cathy's new born twins home from the hospital. And they really are a perfect family. Two amazing mothers, finally reunited after a week in hospital for Jane, with their two children. The oldest, a boy. The youngest, a girl. Chantelle and Alex, they named them perfectly.

We have to watch the perfect couple exchange a kiss every two seconds, both their children perfectly asleep.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry is that really necessary?" I eventually snap, the book in my hands making a harsh, blunt noise as the ends slam together.

"Lina, it's our first night at home as mums. We're allowed to be happy," Cathy voice remained quiet, scared she'll irritate me further.

"Yeah um, actually Cathy I'm really tired. You can come up with me if you like," I shut my eyes, not bearing to watch my best friend stand. "Jane I'm sorry, listen, I'll go up. You two continue having your perfect night," I sighed, going to stand too.

"no, no it's fine. It's already not perfect anymore." i might not have seen her but I could feel her wiping her eyes.

"Jane, I'm sorry, I really am. I didn't," i let out a quick sigh "I didn't mean to snap. I didn't mean to speak at all,"

"No it's, no its fine. Catherine. Our presence is clearly making you uncomfortable so we're leaving." I opened my eyes again, to Cathy taking the twins off Jane and taking them to their room, which had been moved downstairs for convenience.

"Jane you know I don't mean that. The PDA is just somewhat a lot," I pull my sleeve over my fist, holding it close to my head, in pure frustration. "Jane i'm sorry," I repeat again, now the room was cleared.

"No Catherine. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm very happily married. I'm sorry I've just two two children who are now the light of my life. I'm sorry your relationships haven't worked and your jealous of mine. I'm sorry me kissing my wife is a big issue. I'm sorry I have everything I want except a best friend who can actually be happy for me. Nothing stopping you from walking away from this friendship. I'm not forcing you stay. You can leave again. I've built my life up without you, I can do it again. So listen to me because you have two choices. You can stay, be my best friend, be happy for me. Or you can leave. And thats your call because I am not, going to pushed and pulled away from the woman I married. And everything aside I'm genuinely sorry that your relationships haven't worked, but it's not fair to not let mine work. Because its happened again Catherine. My wedding, you got so drunk and upset I spent my wedding night sat outside looking after. And tonight. My whole pregnancy, I was looking to this one moment. 59 hours I was in labour. I knew this night, my first night with my children, with my wife, us back as a family. And it was going to be the best night of my life. And it really was until you started this. I tried to talk to you and all I got was laconic answers. So I stopped, figuring you wanted to be left alone and I focused on my family. And now we're fighting and I've not felt this shit in ages. So yeah. My day is ruined. My night is ruined. And you keep doing this Catherine. Why can't you just let me be happy!?" Jane cried. Her eyes reddened as her anger turned to desperation, her last cry a beg. Jane never swore, not even around me. So the fact she said 'Shit' screamed how much pain this argument was causing her.

"J-Jane," I whisper, shit she must have been holding in this for a while. "Jane where do I fit into this? Into your life. I can't, Jane we're barely friends anymore. We barely see each other and we live under the same roof for crying out loud."

"Where do you fit?" Her dry laugh forced more tears to flood from her eyes. She wouldn't look at me much, but I can't determine if thats guilt or anger. "I put hours and hours aside for you and you push me further and further away. I ask you time and time again do you want to go out or watch a film and you always make some dig how I'd prefer to do it with Cathy. I just can't take that anymore. I want you as my best friend I do, but I want one that can be happy for me."