Recognize the difference between 'finished' and 'ready to post'

With my first 3 stories on my old account I always posted my next chapter the moment I had all of the words on the page. In truth, you only finished half of the work. If you really want your readers to understand what you are trying to portray, you should;

Look at it from 'I have never seen this show before' perspective. Would someone new to this series be able to at least semi-understand what you are writing? Obviously there is a lot of wiggle room with this, and the answer will more than half of the time be no. But doing this works in some small details that you would never bother to put down in the first place, and makes the overall flow of the story nicer.

Set a word goal. I didn't find this out until later on my time on Wattpad, but a lot of people prefer ao3 because you can see how long each chapter is. So If you put a goal for yourself, whoever is reading is more likely to stick around for the next chapter. Ex. Mine is 2000 words.

Think, how many times have you read this over? I recommend looking over what you wrote at least twice, as it allows you to catch spelling errors and strengthen awkward portions of your story.

Lastly, remember who reads what you wrote isn't paying you for your story. Whatever you write should represent what you think and feel, not what others want.

Finished with this? You are ready to post!