Chapter Nine

The next morning, Xavier still looked like he was in a bad mood, and Ruby couldn't tell if he was upset about not going to the dance with Wednesday because she hadn't actually wanted to go with him, or if he was mad that she was snooping

It was already going around school that they weren't going together anymore. Someone at the table next to them was talking quite loud, so the Nightshades' table could hear everything she was saying, "Wow, Addams and Thorpe cut that off so quickly, half of the people didn't even know which twin he was going with yet."

Ruby's cheeks flared, and her eyes widened. She looked down at the hands on the table, and Divina turned around from next to her, "Which one of you idiots said that?" The girl's friends pointed to her, and she looked around at them offended that they had ratted her out. "If you're gonna talk crap about someone, make sure they're not sitting a few feet away from you." She turned back in her seat and rolled her eyes, muttering something about stupid people.

For the rest of the breakfast hour, Xavier and Ruby stayed silent and never made eye contact. The Addams girl was thankful that they didn't have any classes together that day, and after that, it was the weekend. The only problem was that since he was no longer going with Wednesday, he would be joining their group for the Rave'N. He wouldn't be getting ready there with them, though, and Kent wouldn't either, the guys were all getting ready in Ajax's dorm.

Ruby told her friends that she wasn't feeling good after their first class, so after classes were over, she was just going to rest in her room, and try to knock out any homework her teachers had given.

And that's what she did. She curled up in her bed, snuggled in a mountain of blankets, and scrolled through her phone. After a while, her crystal ball started ringing.

She moved to her desk to answer it.

"My little gemstone, how are you doing? Is Nevermore turning out to be everything you had hoped it to be?"

"Yes, Dad, I'm loving it here, I have so many friends and I've joined fencing."

Morticia sighed happily, a smile crossing her darkened lips, "I'm so happy for you. At least one of my girls is enjoying school. Speaking of, have you spoken to your sister?"

Ruby blinked. Not even a minute into talking to her parents for the first time in two weeks, and they're already asking about Wednesday. "Not much, she doesn't seem to like my friends, so we don't see each other very often."

Gomez looked a bit downcast at that, but he put on a grin and asked if she needed anything, Parents Day was coming up, so if there was anything from home, they could bring it to her.

She told them about her forgotten sketchbooks and asked if she could have money to buy a small refrigerator for her room since her friends always hung out in her room. When it came to spending money, Ruby always tried to make sure it was okay with her parents, but Wednesday didn't bother. While Ruby knew they had more than enough money to spend on whatever she wanted, she had manners and a conscience.