Chapter XI

Short chapter. Why? Because I actually don't need to stay in Mari's POV for long. The resolution is coming in hot

(Also, let's not mention the delay in this chapter. I rushed it so you guys would have something to read before the next time I can update, which might end up being... um... January.)

UPDATE 12/5 -- New chapter is in progress, might be done this month, even this week!

Marinette/Ladybug P.O.V.

I wake to yelling. But by now, I'm so used to it that the terror doesn't seize me so hard as my eyes flutter open, feeling half-frozen. The tense feeling that gripped me when I woke up releases when, upon lifting my head, I realize that wherever Hawk Moth is, it's not near me. 

Sinking slowly to the cold floor, I stare at my bound wrists and consider all that developed in the past few hours. From what I know, anyway. Alya came through to warn Cat Noir, and I guess Cat Noir tried to trick Lila into bringing him here to find me.

I hadn't really considered it before, and at this thought, a tiny spark of warmth blossoms in my chest against the ever-present cold. He was trying to come for me, even if it didn't work.

All I heard was Hawk Moth yelling at Lila through his earpiece. And when he akumatized Chloe, I tried to intervene. The ropes Hawk Moth had tied me up with again were the same ones I'd snapped in half, so they were pretty easy to pull free with minimal effort.

From there, I'd gotten to a safe spot and started shouting, hoping Chloe could hear me through whatever telepathic message Hawk Moth was sending. She did, but when she allowed herself to be akumatized, I was devastated that she hadn't even listened.

And then Hawk Moth caught me again; I couldn't even really struggle, but he tied my wrists in front of me this time, so I have a little more mobility; it's slightly more comfortable this way, anyway. And by paying attention when he thought I was unconscious, I found out about what Cat Noir had done and how Chloe had helped him get my Miraculous back.

I don't know how long it's been now; probably no longer than fifteen minutes since I tried to get some rest, but I'm certain Cat Noir succeeded. Which means that my earrings-- and, more importantly, Tikki-- are safe with him.

Closing my eyes again, a subconscious realization tells me this shouldn't make a difference if I'm still stuck here. But then again, my Miraculous was dangerous in Lila and Hawk Moth's hands, I decide. It's better for Cat Noir to have them somewhere safe. Hopefully he finds a good place to keep them until...

Until what? Suddenly the dread is back. Until I'm rescued? Because is that even going to happen?

Shuddering, I curl up into a ball, my back pressed against the wall. He still can't find me. And if Hawk Moth doesn't ever release me...

It's only been one day, but I don't think it's likely he'll pay me any mind. I'll dehydrate within another day if I have to stay here; for all I know, I could be badly injured. There's no telling what could happen to me.

I resolve to the thought that Tikki is safe before the negativity can get to me. I'm done crying, at least for now, because Lila has already humiliated me enough. Hawk Moth has already hurt me enough, and I'm sick of it.

The floor is cold against the side of my face, and I consider mustering up the energy to turn onto my other side, even if it is my injured side. From across the lair, I catch the sound of footsteps, and against my better judgment, I flinch. But luckily, they're moving away, and I can somewhat relax again, dropping my gaze and closing my eyes again.

The peace only lasts for about five minutes before he returns. And he's not alone. Lila is back, joining him, and I keep my eyes closed for fear of what might happen.

"...so." Lila sounds triumphant. So triumphant, that I wonder if she really did lose my Miraculous, or if she still has it. "Any words? Did you seriously think you were subtle about all this?"

There's no response, only Hawk Moth glaring at her. She doesn't seem put off at all when I peer up at them. She continues, off-handedly. "Does it matter that I know your identity if I'm still on your side? Or are you worried I'll betray you?"

When he does speak, it's obvious Lila is right. He doesn't trust her. "How dare you come back here?"

"Oh, that." She rolls her eyes. "It wasn't my fault you didn't bother to help me."

"Queen Wasp was supposed to do that. I had something else to deal with." He glares in my direction, and I flinch, everything in me going cold in fear.

"So you're aware she's been contacting people outside, right?" Lila, to my horror, moves closer to me-- I cringe, struggling upright and trying to back away. It doesn't stop her from grabbing me by the binds on my wrists, and even that slightest bit of contact shoots fear through me.

"Don't touch me!" I gasp, kicking back and tearing free. Surprised at my outburst, Lila freezes momentarily, and I'm able to back up, out of range. Her eyes narrow, but to my relief, she doesn't try to grab me again.

I can't say that small success hasn't given me more courage, so it surprises them but not me when I speak up again. "Why would you discuss this in front of me?" I let my eyes fall on Hawk Moth, no matter how much terror it brings. "Unless you want me to know your identity, too. I think you've failed enough times in one day, Hawk Moth."

Lila might have snickered, but I don't hear it-- a moment later, I find myself curled up on my side again, the side of my face throbbing and swelling. I can taste blood on my tongue as I struggle upright again, watching Hawk Moth move away again. "Remember your place, Ladybug," he snaps, and I resolve to falling silent again, clamping my teeth together to hold back a cry of pain.

"She's not wrong," Lila offers loftily. "Anyways..." Her attention turns to me again, and I try not to sigh. I'm pretty sick of being scared, and it's always terrifying whenever they pay me attention-- that's usually when someone hurts me.

"How did you contact people outside?" She narrows her eyes. "What did you do?"

I could probably lie. If Adrien tricked an expert liar, I probably could, too... except I don't think I have the energy to be convincing. And I can't very well give away that maybe, maybe Mayura was trying to help me by leaving a phone in my access. If I've ever needed an ally, it would be now.

But then again... I've already seen what speaking has done for me. So I finally resolve to stay silent, expressionless. She glares and repeats her question. It's actually a little satisfying to be able to hold this over her, so I continue to stay silent and ignore her.

Hawk Moth looks irritated. "She's in no position to do it anymore, so what does it matter? You've already failed, so we're moving on to the backup."

"Wasn't this your backup?" Lila rolls her eyes. "Considering you couldn't recreate scarlet akumas?"

"If you want a part in this, you'll shut up and listen." Harsh, I think, with a slight smirk at Lila's slightly taken aback expression. Hawk Moth narrows his eyes, ignoring me again and the fact that I'm listening to his every word. "I'm thinking it's time we ransom her. There's one person who will do anything for her safety, and without Ladybug's expertise, he can't trick us."

"You don't know that." Lila, irritated, turns her back and crosses the room, waving her phone to get some sort of signal. "He fooled me. It was actually like he had a plan of his own, and it only failed because of a single factor. You should probably be more careful about him."

Hawk Moth looks pretty much done with her sass. I can say I'm right there with him.

"Look," he snaps, bearing down on her, "this is your last chance to prove you're capable. Are you going to take part, or not?"

Admittedly, when Lila turns back, I catch the look of exhaustion. She's just as done with him as he is with her, but obviously, she's got a little bit of tolerance left in her. She sighs and nods. "I'll do it. What's the plan?"