Chapter 1: The Wolf in the Woods

Nessie

I sighed as I walked out of the house. My parents. My human parents. The ones who had taken me in and loved me as their very own. Looked on at me in disappointment. We hadn't really spoken in the nearly three months since I'd given them the news of my pregnancy.

I barely remembered the end of year party my best friend Austen had thrown to celebrate the end of our junior year of high school. The interesting part about all the entire situation is that I couldn't remember drinking even one drop of alcohol. Sure I'd been offered beer and tequila among other things but I turned it down. I stuck solely to soda. Or so I had thought anyway.

I guess at some point I must've given in and started drinking. That's what Austen told me anyway. I couldn't even remembered who it was that I had sex with to end up pregnant like this.

When I found out that I was pregnant a few weeks later my parents started screaming at me. It was easily the ugliest fight we'd ever had. Since that day we had barely spoken. I hated it. Although they weren't my biological parents I still loved them as if they were.

Bella and Edward. Not a single day went by when I didn't think about them and the rest of my biological family. It had been thirteen years since the battle with the Volturi. I wasn't quite sure how I did it but somehow I managed to escape on my own without anyone noticing. I ran as far away and as fast as I could do so. I only stopped when I collapsed of exhaustion.

When I woke up I was in a hospital. I couldn't give out many details as to how I ended up in the south. It was crazy. I'd figured though that this little town would be a safe place for me to hide from vampires.

Well it wasn't entirely vampire free. I thought to myself as I walked into the clinic to See Dr. Brown. The door shut with a loud clang behind me. The nurse at the front desk looked up to see me.

"Oh Nessie. She'll be ready to see you in just a few minutes. Just have a seat. "Okay," I nodded. I stared around at the all too familiar waiting room. I'd been seeing Dr. Brown since the day I'd woken up in the hospital here in Houston.

Five minutes later the door opened and my name was called. I was taken to the nearest exam room. Just as I was getting settled in I heard the door open once again. I looked into Dr. Brown's golden eye color. The only reminder left that she was once a vampire.

She smiled when she saw me. "So how's my favorite patient doing?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "As well as can be expected I guess. My family is not really talking to me after what happened,"

"They'll come around eventually. You being pregnant is a bit of a hard pill for them to swallow that's all. But they love you. We all do,"

I sighed. "Thanks. Speaking of hard pills..."

She held up her hands to stop me. "I know. I know. I already have it ready for you. You never miss a dose do you?"

I sighed. "Well I don't want to find out what's happen if I forget,"

The pills Dr. Brown had been giving me were unique. They were her own invention. The pills erased nearly all vampire traits when taken by a vampire. Or a hybrid like myself.

Dr. Brown was something of a scientist as well as a genius. Though she kept her invetion a secret. Only a handful of people knew about these pills. She herself had been taking them for a few years before she found me. She was essentially human now. Even able to have kids of her own.

Not even she knew though what would happen if someone were to stop taking them. The effects of that was something she never had the desire to study.

"Try not to worry Nessie. I'm sure things will work themselves out in the end. You're parents will come around eventually. It's just going to take them some time that's all,"

"How long though? Until I'm actually holding my baby in my arms? I don't think I can take this much longer,"

"Look," she said. "If there's anything I've learned as a parent is that there's nothing a mom won't forgive. She loves you. I love you. So you just take care of yourself and that baby of yours and everything else will work itself out,"

I hopped off the table. "Thanks," I said.

"and don't forget this," she handed me the pills that I'd left on the bed. I facepalmed myself.

I wasn't ready to go home and my parents weren't going to look for me any time soon. I'd already done the worst in their eyes. Gotten pregnant. What other trouble could I possibly get into? A nice relaxing walk in the woods was just what I needed to get my mind off of things.

My watch buzzed on my wrist alerting me that I had just a text message. It was Austen asking me if I was still on for dinner tonight. I replied yes.

The woods were eerily calm today. When I got tired I sat down and laid against a tree trunk. Not even a minute later I jumped at the sound of snoring. I got up to go investigate. Stupid. I know.

As I walked I spotted something on the ground. It was a patch of reddish brown fur. I bent down to pick it up. My heart was racing. I shook my head. It couldn't be.

I kept on walking until I spotted something, or rather someone, that I never thought I would see again. I rubbed my eyes though it was impossible to miss the gigantic wolf laying there asleep before me.

Though he looked somewhat emaciated and wild it was definitely my Jacob. "Jacob!" I shouted way too excitedly.

He opened one bleary eye. When he saw me he stood up so fast that I actually got dizzy. I could see the complete and utterly shock in his eyes. Now that he stood on all fours I could really see the affect the last thirteen years have had on him. He was a lot thinner now. His fur was long and unkempt looking. But he was still beautiful. Even if wild looking.

Without even a slight warning my face was suddenly covered in wolf slobber. I hugged him as tight as I could do so. Jacob's tears fell on me but judging by his wagging tail I could safely assume that it was tears of happiness.

Then suddenly, and abruptly, he ran off. I followed him. "Nessie," a voice said nearby. I turned slightly to my right and saw a very human Jacob standing there. Naked. It was impossible to turn away.

"Jacob," I cried.

He took a step toward me and stumbled. I grabbed him and helped him stand still. He grabbed me in a tight massively warm hug. "I thought you were dead. I thought you were dead," he cried.

"I'm not. I'm okay,"

Jacob stumbled again. "I'm sorry I'm way out of practice with the whole human thing. I'm not used to two legs anymore,"

"When was the last time you were human?"

"The days all blended together. I don't know what day, month, or year it is. The last time I saw civilization was the day you died. I haven't been human or even seen a human since then,"

Let me know what you think.