The Edge of the World

Deziel had much improved as a dancer.

He was capable of a certain degree of grace, as long as Lark did not interrupt us and as long as I did not speak to him, or even look at him.

I had forgone my lessons with Ryker. With the feast tomorrow in the Queen's ballroom, we would be expected to stand up together, and the figure we cut would reflect on him. Lark drilled us to exhaustion, and by the end he could hardly bear the sight of us.

"Get out!" He took his knife and wood, and sat by the window, carving and scowling. I still had not found the courage to ask him to sing, though if he had denied the late King Viserys, I did not think highly of my chances.

But we were still not free of our duties. Sylvie glowered by the door. Deziel was to fulfill his promise, immediately.

"Let's go diving." she said, bouncing on her heels. "Now."

"Sylvie," warned Deziel. She gave a reluctant curtsey. "Hello, Lady Maria. Now, please. It's so hot."

"We're hot too," said Deziel, wiping his brow, and looking at me. "But Marai would ruin her pretty gown. Give her a chance to get ready."

"It's not so very pretty," said Sylvie, but she gave me reprieve to change.

xxx

"Are you riding today, m'lady?" asked Sage. She often lingered in my chambers now, on the pretext of sweeping, but really just to talk. She wanted to keep up appearances though and she dragged a broom over the spotless floor.

"No," I answered, surveying my figure in the glass. The breeches were cut below the knee and fit snugly, perhaps overly so. I did not understand all the clothing I had been provided with, but I knew they were to worn under a lady's skirts while riding. I had never been ahorse. Rifling through my chest, I chose a sleeveless camisole and pulled it over my head.

Sage smiled curiously. Now that she would not spread tales of me, I should tell her my plans, but I did not wish to shock her. There were certain things ladies did not do, and while I did not think Deziel would lead me astray, I was too eager to risk it. My russet dress tied in the front, making it easy to slip on and off, and I pinned back my hair in a tight bun.

"Has anything happened at court?" Her sister served Lady Lannister, which made her a prime source of gossip. She never mentioned what they said about me, and I was not about to ask.

"Ser Castos is already a favored companion of the king, it seems, and beloved by half the ladies." She blushed. "He is very handsome."

"Yes, he is." He had been so wrapped up with the king that we had not truly conversed, save for a few compliments. What was strange was that he spoke even less to his brother and sister. They did not seem like a family, not like Deziel and Sylva did.

I thought of Princess Rhaenyra, and the great gulf between her and her half siblings. Perhaps nobles put greater weight on full parentage. I remembered my little brother Garin, with his Maester for a father, and grew sad. We only had two letters a year from Oldtown, and he heard even less from us. I hoped he did not think I had forsaken him.

"I think it's clean now," I whispered to Sage, resting my hand on her arm. She looked down at the broom, and up at me, and laughed.

xxx

I walked swiftly through the vaulted hall, past the barracks where soldiers grunted in the yard. I stopped dead in my tracks. Inhaling quickly, I stepped to look over the balustrade, at the rising dust and gasping combatants. Aemond.