"the best nurse"

Sebastian's POV 

"Let us have a drink...to Y/n" Jack said when we got back to the mansion. "To Y/n" Albert got a bottle of wine. 

He poured us all a drink and we sat down in the den. 

"Remarkable woman...that Y/n" Bonde said. "I agree...what was she like back in the day?" Fred asked. "What do you mean by that?" I asked. "What do you think he means by that you dimwit?" Jack rolled his eyes at me. 

He took a sip of his wine and looked at Fred. 

"Y/n really was something. Ever since she was about...seven or eight, she has been there" Jack said. 

I did not know she was a nurse for that long. 

"That is such a young age to be a nurse" William said. "It is, but her father was a soldier and his wife was a nurse. She gave birth to Y/n in the military and they always kept her close. Her mother never went on leave and they took pride in always being involved. Amazing people...her family" Jack knew Y/n more that I did. "I never met her parents" I said. "They both passed, her mother first and then her father...it happened before you joined the military" he explained to me.

I felt pretty bad for not knowing, Y/n had been through a lot. 

"Don't feel saddened. This is Y/n we are talking about, after her mother's death, she improved as a nurse; after her father's death she was a little depressed but she came back to us" Jack said. "How do you feel about Y/n?" I asked. "Well...I watched her grow. I would not say that she was like my girl because everyone knew that was General L/n's girl. I would say I was like an uncle to her, not blood related of course" he said. 

Louis headed to bed and we continued talking. 

"What was her father like?" Bonde asked. "Heavens! He was quite the man! He was my General and he always gave us a hard time...but it was worth it in the end; almost every one of his soldiers were the best. He passed away protecting his army" he explained. "The apple does not fall far from the tree" Albert said. "You are very right Albert" Jack agreed with him. "That girl...she is devoted to being a nurse. Never took that job as a joke and never played around" he continued. "...wow" Bonde was impressed. "That's enough with the bedtime stories, I am quite sure it's time for you kids to head to bed" Jack got up. "Good night" we all said before going to our rooms.

I stood outside, looking off my balcony. That woman truly was the best nurse in Britain and that is why I cared so deeply for her. She always finds a way to raise the bar higher and not that many people could do what she does best.

Twenty Five Years Ago

"Come on! That is your comrade on the ground, if you actually cared about him you would be helping me!" a little girl was on the battlefield, aiding soldiers...as a war was going on. "My apologies, Y/n" he said. "No time for you chatting! Just help me move him!" the girl yelled so her voice could be heard over the gunshots. 

The two of them moved to the medical grounds quickly and Y/n started doing her work. 

"Is he going to be okay?" the soldier asked. "Obviously, now stop pestering me and do your job before more people get shot!" Y/n truly was like her father, ordering people around. 

She rolled up her sleeves and stopped the bleeding from the gunshot wounds. 

"A lucky man you are" she said to her patient. "It is not every day that a ten year old girl is saving your life" he replied to Y/n. "Be grateful...there are not many people like me. Take a deep breath in" Y/n said.

The soldier listened and Y/n took out the bullets with tweezers and tossed the bullets to the side. The man let out heavy exhales. 

"I am almost done" Y/n moved a little faster. 

She covered the holes with gauzes and then wrapped the wounds in bandages. 

"Good as new, I am almost positive that I need to help others like you" the girl smiled at the man before heading out again. 

She looked at the battlefield and tried to find any more fallen soldiers. Once she found one, she would run over to him while dodging bullets at the same time. She never got shot; however, enemies tried kidnapping her a few times. None of the kidnappings would be successful since her father would stop them quickly. 

When Y/n was twelve, her father died on the battlefield and she never got to see her for the last time. This was the first time her heart would be broken. For months she refused to leave the medical tent and never spoke unless spoken to. When soldiers would come to her, she would be hostile when treating them and did not comfort them like she used to. 

All of that stopped when she had a little chat with Jack Renfield, a soldier that was under her father since she was little, he told her stories about her father and comforted her during her darkest moments. He helped her come back stronger and better, without him, the current Y/n would not be the same. 

Since she was a girl, she was doing grand things.

Y/n's POV 

As I was looking at some military strategies, I sneezed loudly.

"Bless you!" Gabriella said to me. "Thank you" I called out to her. 

Who is talking about me at this hour?  I asked myself. 

"Nurse Y/n, I am letting myself in" I heard the general's voice. 

I stood up quickly and walked over to him.

"General, what do you need at this hour?" I asked him. "I was cleaning...and I found this" he handed me a picture. "Oh...thank you" I said to him. "I think it is better in your hands, I would forget if I did not give to you later" he explained to me. "I appreciate you" I said before he walked out. 

I looked at the picture...it was an old one. I was about seventeen years old and I was in the medical tent and every soldier that I had helped, was standing with me. 

"Wow...that was you?" Alexia asked. "She looked good when she was young" Amabel said. "And you are not going to look good if I still see you standing there in ten seconds" I said to the girls. 

They darted off to their room in a blink of an eye.