Chapter Ten

The next weekend was when family could visit

The next weekend was when family could visit. Ruby woke up excited and ready to see her parents and brother.

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and to grow, no matter who or what they are." Principal Weems began her short speech, drawing applause from the audience. "I realize most of you have heard about unfortunate incident involving one of our students, but I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So, let's focus on the positive and makes this Parents' Weekend our very best yet."

Ruby met her family at the entrance, hugging her brother and parents as soon as she could, Morticia looked around at the quad, "Look at this, some things never change."

The eldest daughter came walking over, "There she is. Oh, how we missed those accusing eyes and youthful sneer. How are you, my little raincloud?" Gomez smiled at his firstborn.

"I thought Thing was filling you in on my every move," the parents looked at each other, and back at their daughter in surprise. "I uncovered your feeble subterfuge almost immediately."

The father asked how their favorite appendage was doing, hoping Wednesday hadn't killed him. Then, they asked about how everything had been going at the new school. Ruby wasn't paying much attention, she had caught Xavier's eye from where he was looking out at the crowd. They smiled at each other, and she shot him a wave.

Gomez saw, and turned to his other daughter, "What was that? Was that a boy? Do you like a boy? Cara Mia," he gestured for his wife to come over, "our little gem was waving at a boy."

Ruby's face burned pink, and she looked down at her feet. "What, my love? Who?" He pointed up at Xavier who was grinning at Ruby's flushed face until he noticed the rest of the Addams looking up at him. He awkwardly smiled at them and turned away to go into the school. "My Ruby, have you found love like your father and I did? Nevermore does that to people."

"Can we not talk about this? Especially when we're surrounded by people who live for gossip."

Wednesday brought their family up to Principal Weems' office, she hadn't known that Ruby needed to attend the meeting as well, so the younger sister went off to find Bianca, who mentioned that her mom wouldn't be coming since she never did.

She wanted to spend some time with her because she felt like Bianca needed to rant about her mother. She never spoke about her, and Divina told her that she had never even seen her before, and she was at Nevermore longer than Bianca.

She walked around the school, but couldn't find her. She did, however, run into Xavier.

"Hey," he fell in step with her, and their hands brushed against each other. "How's it been seeing your family again?"

She looked up at him, "I spent only ten minutes with them, and half of it they spent talking with or about my sister, until my father saw you, and dragged my mother over to see. They're with Weems for a meeting about Wednesday now."