I'm Sorry I'm Gone

Mother was packing two suitcases. That was different. I had noticed this when I was walking and carrying the needles to finish my tattoos. Mom noticed my state and said

"Your father and I will be gone for some time. We understand that you want to join the military as a solider,so we have contacted your cousin and made arrangements for you to stay with him." I nodded.

"What about Katelyn?"

"We have made arrangements for her to stay with the Soraes."

I nodded and hurried to my room,where Katelyn had set up.

I told her about the plans Mother had made.

"What does that mean for me?" Katelyn said as she cleaned the needles.

"It means that once Mother and Father are gone for about a year and a half,you can come join me and be a healer." I winced as she put some pain killer into my right arm, the only set of tattoos that wasn't rimmed. Katelyn gave me a gag and set to work. She sewed the alloy into my tattoos,as quickly as she could. Most of it was a haze for me, but when I came out Katelyn was done.

"Now,you've got to let it set before you do anything dangerous."

"Sweetie you worry to much.I'll be fine." I stood up, a little shaky but otherwise fine. "I'll need to leave tomorrow, Mom and Dad are heading out tonight. Go ahead and pack your things ok?" Katelyn nodded and walked out. I pulled out my suitcase and began to pack everything I needed.Once I was done,Katelyn ran in carrying a dark purple bundle of cloth.

She handed it to me and said "Its a new jacket! The cloth won't catch and its rimmed so you won't get lashes. It has pockets for all your trinkets and a picture of you and me in our digit code so you can always feel me. I also did the design." I unrolled it.

"Its the best present you've ever given me! Thank you!"

As I hugged her she said,"You say that about all me gifts."

I laughed and put on the jacket. As I walked down the stairs,Dad and Mom walked to the door. Mom walked out after waving, but Father paused. He looked at me.

"Are you sure you won't use your alchemy?"

"Yes sir."

"Such a shame. You had so much potential."

At that point,Katelyn came down the stairs,and I saw a hunger in my Father's eyes that I hadn't seen in a long time. I stepped protectively in front of her and forced out,"Goodbye Father."

"Goodbye Sokanon." He tipped his hat and walked out the door.

Katelyn looked at me."We leave tomorrow?"

I nodded."We leave tomorrow."