Nemesis

The inside of Taina's wrist scrubbed along her forehead, dabbing at her hairline to wipe the sweat away. Blood under her skin throbbed hot; it unleashed a cool thrill. Adrenaline? Endorphins? Whatever. She wasn't going to act like she knew, and to be honest it didn't matter. All the same it had become something very familiar. Just like the fiery burn in her muscles, the aggressive pounding of her heart within her ribcage, and the perspiration that veiled her scar-ridden skin. The braid of hair dangling down lashed at her back, bare between the straps of her sports bra. Whipping like reins to urge her on. Maintaining the accelerated pace on the treadmill. Starting to run short of breath, her gaze deviated—a distraction. The gymnasium was a hub of activity. Granted, it was hard to find a time when it wasn't. Machines whirred. Metal clanked. Chatter and grunts filled the humid air. In the far corner, she found Gustave standing next to Gilles, and they both stood across from Olivier with an awkward amount of space separating them. And yet Taina was almost certain Gustave wouldn't consider it enough.

She still couldn't figure out which was stranger: Gustave disliking someone so strongly or someone disliking Gustave at all.

From across the gymnasium, she saw his head turn. A scowl contorted every facial feature—lips, lids, brows—but his sights scattered. Attention flittering back and forth and all around until he found her.

And then just like that, eyes bulging, he pivoted and shunned her.

Huh.

Taina glanced down at her white and blue runners and adjusted the earbud jammed into her right ear.

Well I suppose one of us has to feign disinterest in the presence of coworkers, she thought. Though normally it was her. Maybe he's giving me a break...

Emmanuelle came to a standstill in front of the treadmill Taina occupied. Her mouth moved, but saying what, Taina couldn't tell. With blaring music, she was too deaf. Hello, perhaps? Hi?

Either way, Taina nearly stumbled over her own feet.

"Oh shit, you're here." She ripped both earphones out at Twitch's semi-sudden arrival.

"What a welcome," Emmanuelle remarked with a smile.

Her hand flicked at the treadmill's speed dial, and only after the rubber slowed under her shoes did she roll her eyes. Even though she nudged the knob down to zero, she hopped off before it even stopped. A graceful landing on both feet, and then she grinned. "I mean it in a nice way."

"Uh-huh."

Taina hunched over. Blood rushed to her head—nauseating and painful, splitting her brain in two. She quickly snatched her water bottle and eased back into a stand. Slowly this time. Gripping the frigid, mauve stainless steel bottle, she took three quick swigs, screwed the lid back on, and dropped it back into her open gym bag. Taina tossed her MP3 player in next. "Whatever you want to start with," she said.

Emmanuelle shrugged. The gesture made her loose black crop top bounce with her shoulders. Both hands stretching up, she began bundling her brown locks into a tight, secure bun. "Weights?"

"Sure."

Learning at least somewhat of a lesson, Taina crouched down this time. Half zipping the black and white duffle bag up, tossing the strap over her shoulder, she followed after Emmanuelle on jelly legs. Weaving around ellipticals and bench presses. Striding past rowing machines over to the rack of dumbbells coloured a muted titanium and black.

"Finally," Emma said. "I feel like I've been waiting all afternoon to do this."

Settling in an open spot, Taina abandoned her duffle bag on the ground again. Thump! Within seconds, she got down onto one knee and began fiddling with the weight plates of her selected dumbbells—increasing the total by a few more pounds before screwing the pin in. "So what were you doing in R&D today?"