FIVE

SHE HATED TO ADMIT IT, BUT THE SIGHT OF MAX'S HOUSE SENT A SHIVER THROUGH VIVIAN'S BODY. Working with Billy was enough; the thought of running into him where he had the home-court advantage wasn't her idea of an enjoyable time. She'd seen what he was capable of; she didn't need to see more. But she wasn't here to sit in the driveway and cower. She was here to help Max. 

Vivian killed the engine and started up the walk. She stepped onto the welcome shade of the front porch and raised her hand to knock. However, the door swung open before she could, and Max's freckled face peeked out, flushed. "Hey," Max breathed, clearly agitated, but Vivian could see a slight smile hiding behind her annoyance. It was actually great to see her again; Vivian hadn't realized how much she'd missed the kids until now. 

"Hi," Vivian said back. Her relief at seeing Max was quickly cut short when she remembered where she was. Her eyes darted around the living room behind Max. "Um, your brother doesn't happen to be here, does he?" Max shook her head. "Nope," she said. "He's working." "Oh, thank God," Vivian exhaled. "No offense," she added. Max scoffed. "Please. None taken."

Vivian stepped forward, gently pushing the front door open. "So," she said, surveying the living room. "What'd Lucas do now?" Max turned back to frown in confusion as Vivian followed her to her bedroom. "Huh?" Max asked. "Lucas," Vivian clarified. "You know, your boyfriend?" Max opened the door to her room, afternoon sunlight spilling out of the doorway and into the dim hall. "Oh," Max chuckled. "This isn't about Lucas."

"Oh?" Vivian mused, stepping into the room. She was shocked to see Eleven perched on Max's bedside, fidgeting with the fraying hem of her jeans. "It's about Mike," Max said mumbled. "Oh," Vivian exhaled. 

Seeing El's innocent disposition in person after all these absent weeks softened Vivian's heart. She'd missed Eleven most of all. Well, of course she had. Hopper had been hiding her away in that cabin all summer. For her safety. Yet here she sat. 

"Wait," Vivian started slowly, suspicion creeping into her voice. "You are not supposed to be here." El looked down at her lap sheepishly, blushing. "Oh, my God," Vivian groaned, looking back at Max accusingly. "You set me up," she said, pointing. Max shrugged. "I had no other choice. Who else was I supposed to call?" 

Despite her displeasure at El breaking the rules, Vivian's pride bloomed at the girls' trust in her advice. But she couldn't let them know that. "God, I don't know, Max," Vivian sighed. "But Hop is gonna murder me if he finds out I was an accomplice to this. You realize that, right?" Max smirked. "It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make." "Wow, thanks."

Max and Eleven looked at Vivian, their eyes pleading. "Please?" El whispered. That did it. "Fine," Vivian surrendered, and the two younger girls shared a look of accomplishment. "What happened?" she asked. "Mike made up some bullshit lie that his Nana is sick, and that's why he can't hang out with El," Max explained hotly. "Because I guarantee you that him and Lucas are playing Atari right now." 

"But friends don't lie," Eleven said, a pitiful hopefulness lacing her voice. "Right?" "About that--" Vivian murmured. "Boyfriends do lie," Max interjected. "All. The. Time." Vivian's stomach twinged uncomfortably. "Yeah," she agreed. "Boys suck." 

El was visibly crestfallen. Vivian snuck a look at Max, who was biting her lip and concentrating. "Max, an aside please," Vivian mumbled, pulling her into the hall on the other side of the open doorway. "What do we do?" Max asked. "I have no idea," Vivian admitted. Max shook her head in disapproval. "You're the adult here! That's why I called you!" Max whispered intensely. 

"Yeah, well that's your fault for assuming I know how to handle conflict," Vivian pointed out. "My fault?" Max demanded, her voice rising. "How is this my fault for expecting you to know what to do?" "I'm barely an adult, Max," Vivian defended. "I just graduated high school!"